Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Lighting & Top for 10g

I have a 10g tank I just set up one happy Betta in and realized the bulky plastic hood and little incandescent 15w bulbs don't do ANYTHING for his color.
Within the next few months I'd like to set up a lid of some kind (plastic with hinge opening or glass top) that I can set a light strip on.
I want to be able to grow plants also....
What would your suggestions be?
First on the lid.... (aside from Craigslist--- I'm looking) I'm willing to go to Home Depot and have glass cut... But how easily would i be able to get into the tank? I've seen glass tops at Petsmart with a hinge..

What light strip/light for low light plants and what type would I need for medium/high light plants?

Open to all comments, ideas & suggestions...
Thank you!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
come get me tang police!
Community Moderator

Hi ocminpin. Honestly the best thing you can do is quite simple, just replace the incandescents with daylight/full spectrum CFL bulbs. It'll give you more than enough light to be in the medium range and costs less than $10.

Just make sure that the bulbs aren't too wide to fit into the housing, but if they are you can just get some narrow ones that they make specifically for aquarium fixtures, they are found in walmart and most LFS.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
Hi ocminpin. Honestly the best thing you can do is quite simple, just replace the incandescents with daylight/full spectrum CFL bulbs. It'll give you more than enough light to be in the medium range and costs less than $10.

Just make sure that the bulbs aren't too wide to fit into the housing, but if they are you can just get some narrow ones that they make specifically for aquarium fixtures, they are found in walmart and most LFS.
REALLY??!! Jeta you just made my day!!
Daylight/Full Spectrum CFL bulbs... There's no wattage right, just the daylight...
This is a general Top Fin hood...
Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
come get me tang police!
Community Moderator

There is varying wattage on the CFL replacements, I typically aim for something around 15-17 watts as the bigger ones are often too wide to fit into the fixture itself without modifying something. But as with any DIY thing, your mileage may vary.

You can grow most plants with sufficient lighting. The plant growth will not be explosive like it would in a co2 injected and regularly dosed tank, but the plants will still grow. I grow all kinds of high and low light labeled plants together with low-medium lighting and no co2 and rare ferts. They don't grow super fast, but I don't really want them to.

The hard part comes when you have too much light and not enough co2 and ferts to accommodate it, this is where you'll typically run into algae issues and whatnot. There's a potential for this when you step up to the CFLs, so you may have to act accordingly if you start having issues.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm so happy about this!
Jitterbug is quite the happy guy and this is my first time taking care of a betta right from day one.... So his home being his castle, he is on his way to being a very spoiled boy.
I started a plant thread so I can have ideas there.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use two 10watt mini CFLs from Petsmart on my 10g Mine are 5,500K I think. My next ones will be 6,500K or near that. Avoid Actinic and 50/50 bulbs.
Marineland, Aqueon and Zoomed all make mini CFLs

Careful not to exceed your hoods specs on wattage.

I have 2 Topfin tanks. A 10g and a 5.5. Both use CFLs.
My pics are in my profile. 10g Shrimp Jungle is my main tank.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair
I use two 10watt mini CFLs from Petsmart on my 10g Mine are 5,500K I think. My next ones will be 6,500K or near that. Avoid Actinic and 50/50 bulbs.
Marineland, Aqueon and Zoomed all make mini CFLs

Careful not to exceed your hoods specs on wattage.

I have 2 Topfin tanks. A 10g and a 5.5. Both use CFLs.
My pics are in my profile. 10g Shrimp Jungle is my main tank.
Thank you!!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can sometimes score good bulbs at Lowes or Home Depot also.

Here is a vid of my tank that uses CFLs
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair
You can sometimes score good bulbs at Lowes or Home Depot also.

Here is a vid of my tank that uses CFLs
I live 5 min walking distance from Home Depot.. Should I look there first? Same thing, right?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I found this:

13-Watt (60W) 2-Pin Twin Tube Cool White PL CFL Light Bulb (1-Pack)

Does that work? Home Depot for 4.98
Then I'd need two...
Max hood wattage is 15.
I just saw this online.. I live around the corner from home depot so i may go look

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com