Lighting Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parasite

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello, i'm the new guppy in this pond and i need some help with a lighting problem:

i run a 331mm (13") 10W T8 flourescent tube and it has burnt out the pcb after about a year.
it blew the fuse once before but i replaced it with the correct replacement so it wasn't that that caused the meltdown.

i would rather not try to find a new pcb if i can help it ; I would prefer to run the tube from an external power supply to stop this happening again.
the problem is, i thought all flourescent tubes needed a starter and i can't find the one in my tank.

the suppplier (aa-aquarium.com) is no help at all.

can anyone advise me how to rectify my problem?

thanks in advance,
Parasite

Last edited:
Welcome to AA!

What brand light fixture is this with a transistor in it? I believe a T8 bulb is just a normal output fluorescent bulb. Anyway, not all bulbs need a starter. RS (rapid start) bulbs do not need a starter to fire. I wired my VHO's and reg. fluorescent bulbs. 2 wires on the ballast get plugged into the wall and 6 wires go to the 2 bulbs (wiring may vary depending on bulbs and ballasts). There is no transistor involved.

cccapt,
thanks for your rapid response.
there is s a code on the board ; KE10W-12V-1.
the board has the following items on it:
2 x 2way screw connectors
4 x diodes (i assume the bridge rectifier)
2 x large brown resistors
2 x small wire wound resistors
2 x transisor things (although they may be voltage regulators but too much damage done to read)
1 x transformer
1 x large black thing (possibly a coil).

i am guessing that this is some kiind of smothing circuit for the ac / dc conversion.

if you know of a rapid start set-up that i can use to replace this junk, please advise me.

thanks again,
parasite.

Back
Top Bottom