Lighting Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garth7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello group,

Hey I had a move a while back and had to dissassemble and reassemble. While doing so, I am thinking about getting a different lighting system. I currently have a Coral Life VHO florescent ballast system. I think this is 440 watts total power (110 per bulb). Now, I have heard that MH are the way to go but bring up energy costs. I thought about Power Compacts being that they seem to use less power, run cooler and longer. Any word on this? I want to eventually keep corals and want to start off on the right foot. Also, (I hate to say it but I have to) my wife has me on a budget. (For some reason she thinks she has to eat.... haha)

So, the following questions I have to ask are:

Even though PC are lower in wattage, they provide more light than the VHO florescents (am i right for thinking this?) I read in an article that they provide 3 times more wattage than the standard florescent bulb. How can rate these or compare these with my VHO bulbs in terms of power?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for MH or PC ballasts, which ones are the best bang for the buck?

I think MH is the way to go. The electronic ballast are not power hogs like the magnetic ones.

Brenden said:
I think MH is the way to go. The electronic ballast are not power hogs like the magnetic ones.
Any suggestions on MH brands? I have seen some setups where pc and mh are used? Is this wise? If I intend to keep corals, how many watts would I need for a standard 55gal tank? Have I asked too many questions?

Thanks for the quick reply!!!!
Doug

Garth I am replacing all my lighting currently. I have/had coralvue 250w mogul base retro kits. I just purchased 6 Coralvue HQI pendants with 14k bulbs and I am supplementing it with 8- 48" T5 antic lights. Several good brands of MH lighting out. I went with coralvue because I got a good deal on them.

Back
Top Bottom