Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Smile Lighting Dilema

I have a 46 gallon bowfront. On top of it I've got an Aqueon Vera-top & 36" strip light (single 24" 17W T8 bulb). I do not have plants, it's just a simple freshwater tank, but should I still upgrade? I'm considering several options:

1) Replacing the strip light with a similar Aqueon "Deluxe" strip light. The deluxe models have full length bulbs (in this case 36" rather than the standard 24") and also include a reflector. How much of a difference would I notice going from a 24" 17W bulb to a 36" 25W bulb w/ a reflector? Finding just the strip light is kinda hard, but I can find the deluxe hoods. I don't want the hood (I like my vera-top) so can I use the strip light w/o the hood?
Oak Fluorescent Deluxe Hoods, Aquarium Fluorescent Fixtures for Sale Online | PetSolutions

2) Doing some surgery and replacing the guts of my current fixture to fit in another T8. Not sure how comfortable I feel doing this.

3) Buying a 36" double tube fixture.
Amazon.com: Flo Twin Strip 36 Oak: Pet Supplies

Anyone with an opinion? Common, everybody's got an opinion...

bry1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
are you not satisfied with how bright your tank is? or what color the light is? i would go with the 36 in single fixture and find a bulb intensity that you are satisfied with

aquandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Go with a Current Satellite LED Plus fixture.. it comes with a wireless remote and dynamic color modes.. color output can be customized. I have them on my versa top on my bow front.. simply awesome light!
- [ADA 60P] - [ADA 60F] - [GLA 6g] - [26g] - [2.1g Cube]
Brian_Nano12g is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com