Lighting Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
oh also is there a clip on cooling fan i think i saw something on drfosters site but i can't remember...

If you want to use this as the main lighting for your 55, sure it will work. But......depending on the Kelvin temp of the bulb, the tank will look like crap. I use the same style bulb in my sump, but I have the 6500K version and it is on the yellow side. You will get virtually no penetration with such a low power bulb so I would think any photosynthetic corals are probably out of the question.

hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm...... I been trying to find a 150 watt Flourescent Bulb which they sell here at Menards... I saw the Bulb and it was Super White Bright I almost when blind when I saw it but I will try it and see how it would go but I will try one for now just to see how the lighting will be just to see if it will work... If not them I will get what I was going to get in the first place.... I guess there is nothing wrong with experiementing before actually getting the real thing....lol

If you want to use this as the main lighting for your 55, sure it will work. But......depending on the Kelvin temp of the bulb, the tank will look like crap. I use the same style bulb in my sump, but I have the 6500K version and it is on the yellow side. You will get virtually no penetration with such a low power bulb so I would think any photosynthetic corals are probably out of the question.

You mean the Bulb was yellow?

.... I guess there is nothing wrong with experiementing before actually getting the real thing....lol

Nothing wrong with it, but I think you could end up letting some nuisance algae get a real good foothold in your tank if the wavelength of the light isn't right.

I have a similar bulb over my fuge and I can keep mushrooms alive in it but that is about it. As ccCapt said you just aren't going to get the penetration you need in a 55 with those bulbs.

Look into T5HO Retro kits. I reccomend TEK.

No, the bulb is white, but with a 6500K temp, it looks sort of more yellow to eye than say a 14000k metal halide.
Melevsreef.com - Refugium Bulb

I see what your saying so... Would it be better to try having 6500k instead? I found an actual Daylight Flourescent Bulb 100watts with a 65000k....I thought maybe it will work I know you guys would prefer light with more penetration but like i said it just an experiment just want to see for myself want can occur with these flourescent bulbs... :).... Not saying I would keep as my primary lighting....

I think those would be kinda yellow and not the daylight whites you really want.
Just throwing this out there, but how about Halogen for penetration...?

I thought maybe it will work I know you guys would prefer light with more penetration....
It's not what "we" prefer, it's what the corals need. ;)
Just throwing this out there, but how about Halogen for penetration...?
I don't think you can get halogen in the correct color, plus halogens are real hot.

It's not what "we" prefer, it's what the corals need. ;)

I don't think you can get halogen in the correct color, plus halogens are real hot.

Yeah I saw a few Halogen that were 200 watts and they were Super White. I don't know how white they really were.... I hate that they won't let you test the Halogen ones..... All well back to the drawing board....lol....

they sell 42w cfl bulbs here..... i know nothing about sw but i dont know why you would spend $18 on those plug ins when you could diy for very cheap.

Larry, I knew they were really hot, but I wasn't sure on the color. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom