Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Lighting for 180 Gal

I know some of you will think I'm nuts, but.... I have a 180 Gallon 6 foot freshwater / fish ony tank that has been running great for over a year. I have a simple, basic flourescent fixture (2 x 36") sitting diagonally in the canopy on top of the tank. The fixture is nice, but it doesn't throw much light off and kind of underwhelms my otherwise beautiful tank.

I don't need to get too crazy but would love to do somthing to put a little light on it and give it a little more pop! I would greatly appreciate any guidance the experts could provide on this subject. I am a pretty handy guy and have no problem doing a retrofit in the canopy, even a DYI if it makes sense.

Yipeio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

Welcome to AA!

Yeah, sounds like you could use a little more light - just don't go too much or you'll cause yourself algae issues.

There's lots of different options available to you, what kind of budget are you trying to meet?

In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't have any idea what is a reasonable amount but would $300 - 500 get the job done?
Yipeio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you're not looking to grow plants, I think you could get decent lighting for a lot less than $300. Start by looking at shop lights in your local DIY center. With a 6ft tank, I think I'd get either two 48" 1-bulb T8 fluorescent or two 48" 2-bulb T8 fluorescent fixtures and overlap them a foot in the middle of the tank. I suggest 4' bulbs because 4' T8 bulbs are easier to get that 3' bulbs by me.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
i think two of these would get the job done for you... a 6' light is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, especially for a fish only tank...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
You can buy 60-inch aquarium lights on the internet - just search for aquarium hoods and lights and you will find a variety of items. A 60-inch with 3 or 4 bulbs will probably be sufficient. As previously stated, too strong a light will encourage algae growth, so don't over-light. Also, your local tropical fish store will probably have a a selection of lights and hoods.

Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com