Lighting for 180 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yipeio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know some of you will think I'm nuts, but.... I have a 180 Gallon 6 foot freshwater / fish ony tank that has been running great for over a year. I have a simple, basic flourescent fixture (2 x 36") sitting diagonally in the canopy on top of the tank. The fixture is nice, but it doesn't throw much light off and kind of underwhelms my otherwise beautiful tank.

I don't need to get too crazy but would love to do somthing to put a little light on it and give it a little more pop! I would greatly appreciate any guidance the experts could provide on this subject. I am a pretty handy guy and have no problem doing a retrofit in the canopy, even a DYI if it makes sense.
Thanks

Welcome to AA!

Yeah, sounds like you could use a little more light - just don't go too much or you'll cause yourself algae issues.

There's lots of different options available to you, what kind of budget are you trying to meet?

I don't have any idea what is a reasonable amount but would $300 - 500 get the job done?

If you're not looking to grow plants, I think you could get decent lighting for a lot less than $300. Start by looking at shop lights in your local DIY center. With a 6ft tank, I think I'd get either two 48" 1-bulb T8 fluorescent or two 48" 2-bulb T8 fluorescent fixtures and overlap them a foot in the middle of the tank. I suggest 4' bulbs because 4' T8 bulbs are easier to get that 3' bulbs by me.

You can buy 60-inch aquarium lights on the internet - just search for aquarium hoods and lights and you will find a variety of items. A 60-inch with 3 or 4 bulbs will probably be sufficient. As previously stated, too strong a light will encourage algae growth, so don't over-light. Also, your local tropical fish store will probably have a a selection of lights and hoods.

Back
Top Bottom