Lighting for 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biotoper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm setting up a simple 20g reef tank - for right now it's just going to focus on what grows on my LR, some clean-up crew, macro-algae, and maybe a couple peppermint shrimp. No skimmer, but lots of powerhead flow. I'll probably want to try some easy corals down the line, probably Discosoma or maybe Ricordea. Some fan worms might be cool too.

So, first I thought NO lighting is cheaper and may be more conducive to growing coralline algae, sponges, etc on the LR. I'd still probably want at least 60W (3 24" bulbs), but looking at price of actinic bulbs, that's going to run me near $60 plus a hood (they're more expensive that PC bulbs!).

However, hellolights has a cool 24" PC hood with 130W for only $130, bulbs included.
http://www.hellolights.com/242xcoluaqho.html
And it has the lunar lights! I could (I think) put the 10K light on very short "on" period (or just keep it off) to promote LR growth for now, but then I'd have plenty of light potential (6.5x) if I need it. It looks nicer than some NO hood I'd probably DIY. Plus, people say PC light is a lot better than NO light for coral, independent of the greater wattage (not sure why).

Well, I guess I've already argued myself to get the PC hood, but any advice would be helpful. Has anyone used the corallife PC hoods?

Keep in mind that the type of lighting is much more important then the wattage. Intensity in relation to penetration power is what is really important. You would still be somewhat limited with the 60watts of NO lighting. Go for the 130w CF hood.

Back
Top Bottom