Lighting for 36" 40 gal planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miata

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm a newbie, just found this site and joined today. I'm in the process of getting equipment necessary for a high light fw planted tank. I think I'm going to go with the 36" orbit compact flourescent light fixture that has 192w, 2/96w 6700k & 10000k with 3 blue lunar lights. Questions are, can I set the the fixture directly on my glass canopy or must I use the legs. I'd rather not use the legs as the light will be distracting. Also the ads don't say if the lunar lights are blue or white. I'm hoping they are blue. Any and all help is appreciated.
tks,
miata

Are you planning on having pressurized CO2 for the tank? If so, then the 192w fixture will be fine. If not, then I'd suggest only getting a 96w fixture or just using half of the 192 until you get pressurized CO2.

I would not put the fixture on the canopy. CF fixtures emit alot of heat and you could risk breaking the glass canopy. Use the legs. :)

Thanks for you response. I'm planning on running a CO2 and now I will use my light fixture legs.
tks again,
John.

You are welcome. :)

I have a 40 breeder high tech planted tank that I use a 2x96w fixture over. I dont suggest running the full 192w all day. I have my second 96w come on for about 5 hours in the middle of the day. Just a suggestion......

You don't have to use a glass canopy unless you have fish that jump. I prefer my tanks to be open top since the glass canopy can block a good amount of light.

Back
Top Bottom