Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-15-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Lighting for 36-gal FOWLR tank?

We have a 36-gal FOWLR tank with 5 fish & lots of LR; one piece has some interesting little macroalgae growing. I'd like to encourage this, hoping it's good for our tang. We have two Helios T5 fluorescent fixtures, but one's been burned out for a while. These use 28w bulbs, one white, other blue (the burned out one).

I was shopping for a replacement bulb, but found the best deal looks like getting a fixture/bulb from commodityaxis.com. Before buying I thought I'd ask the experts what lighting would be best for fish, viewing, and encouraging plant growth. Are these T5's good for our tank? Are two 36" fixtures optimal?

Appreciate any advice.

Bob Peitzke

bpeitzke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
I only use regular fluorescent bulbs and they grew algae in my tank. The long hair green ones. And they are nuisance. Feed the Tang Nori or something.

But for FOWLR, you might want to save your money from expensive lighting. Regular fluorescents should be just fine. You might want to do a PC, but why? Now, for plant growth, are you pertaining to live see weeds or something? Or did you just want algae. Because the algae will grow weather you like it or not, whether you're using cheap lights or not.

I just spent 3 hours cleaning my tank from those green hair algae. Fish doesn't like them. Maybe only 1 type of Tang would like it and I forgot what it was. Keep your tank away from sunlight and run 10 hours of regular fluorescents in it for a few days, you will get your algae. HTH
Old 08-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Go to Walmart and get a flourescent hanging shop light for under $10.

LittlePuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I buy my bulbs from foster & smith. They have a great warranty with them and I have always been pleased. You might want to check out their t-5 bulbs and get ones suitable for what you need.
Hara is offline   Reply With Quote

fowlr, light, lighting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com