Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #1

Lighting for 45gal Cube

Hi, I'm new to saltwater reef tanks. I'm getting a 45gal rimless tank. It will be 24in long and the depth is 18in I think. Right now I have a single finnex Ray 2 that's 24in. I spoke with a Lfs and they recommended two Ray 2s. Or this led, I forgot the name but it was controlled by a remote and the list price was $350. Can I get by using 2 Ray 2s, or should I get an entirely new setup? I'm looking to grow beginner to intermediate corals and mushrooms. I'm very new to this, I've had lots of freshwater and planted tanks before though. Thank you

Old 07-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That would be great for a planted tank, but not so much corals. I'd suggest one of the taotronic LED units. They have gone as low at 85, but usually see them at about 120. One unit will cover 2 ft of tank and will let you keep anything you want under it that has photosynthetic needs. I'd suggest a unit that dims so you can lower the intensity of these very powerful lights.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #3

thank you! I'll post a picture of one I find
Old 07-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #4

What would your opinions be on this current usa led light. I see the PAR chart only supports low light corals, I would want a broad spectrum for beginner corals and mushrooms etc. What would you recommend as of the quantity of lights necessary?Here is the link- Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light

Tags
cube, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com