Lighting for 48" x 24" x 36" inch reef system (PLEASE READ AND REPLY!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baroose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I'm getting back in the hobby after a few years and setting up my first big reef tank (150 gallons). Previously only had up to 40 gallon tanks with limited livestock. I'd like to get some top of the line lighting for my tank but a lot has changed in the past 10 years. I've spent the last couple of weeks doing as much research as I can regarding lighting and must say there is TONS of conflicting/confusing information out there which makes it VERY difficult to make any sort of reasonable decision regarding lighting. Especially considering the cost of some of the options...

I'm very interested in LED lighting and had my eye on a few units, with the Ecotech Radion at the top of the list. However, I've recently read some articles that really trash this light saying it has a bad spectrum, poor PUR and poor penetration for deeper tanks like mine (30 inches). I really like some of the features of this light with the wireless control, software, lighting effects/gimmicks (lunar cycles, storm mode, etc) as well as their integration with the vortech pumps which also seem pretty "cool".

Basically, I would like to get peoples experiences with this light as well as ANY other suggestions for a light to suit my purposes. I would like to be able to grow any coral within reason although I will certainly take it slow. I would also like some control over the spectrum through dimers or timers similar to what the Ecotech Radion can offer. It seems maybe LED lights are the only real option to create these effects?

Thanks so much for reading and I look forward to replies from the experts on this message board :)

I'd look into custom/ DIY led setup. I'm not very handy and I'm working on a setup right now for better penetration. I have a 30" deep tank. I am using 10w hybrid LEDs (10000k/450nm blue) and 1-3w LEDs of 15k, 20k, red, and uv , it's worth your while to look into it. The parts are not that expensive and the fab isn't that hard.

I bought a MVAVA. It is by far the best fixture for the money. It comes in 1 watt and 10watt. I have the 10watt and it supports all my lps and sps with no problem. They are programmable for a complete sunrise to sunset plus moon light i first seen them in my LFS and was very impressed. I've had them now for about 3 mos and absolutely love it. My tank is 60"x24"x24" and the fixture cost me $1400. Check them out. Www.mvava.com

Back
Top Bottom