Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have my 72 incher hanging. I like it better than on the legs. It is very heavy and would be a pain to move, for tank maint. I have a 48incher on my 55 and it is a pain. I have to take it off, to really do cleaning or moving stuff and when the light is not over the tank, I can't see very well.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Maybe I'm just not understanding the hanging. Is it something that's easy to do? I think I mentioned early that I have zero handyman skills so if its something easy to do, I guess I will consider it. I think I am overcomplicating things and that may be my problem.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

It took me a little while, you will definitely need help, if you are going with a 72 inch system. they tend to be bulky and heavy (personally, I didn't like the looks of the legs). Easy way, find the celing joists (correct term?), pre drill and screw the hooks in and hang. Har way, if you miss the "joists", just put a "cross joist" in and screw the hooks in that.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 01-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

My hood was homemade, it hung on a chain with some screw-in hooks. I think I did use a drill to put them in. I also have a stand designed for it. My stand has a third level with a shelf my QT and some random equiptment is on, and the hood hung from the third shelf supports.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

One more thing, I am not too sure if egg crate will hold the weight of those lights.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 01-03-2007, 09:17 PM   #16

I asked my wife and she doesnt think she has the skills to deal with drilling and what not. I may just have to go back to the legs. Seems much easier and less complicated.

Edited to add:

What about 2 of these: http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=976

or these:

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=690

I really appreciate the patience and help. It has been great!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those would both work, although it's fewer watts for the money. Might be worth it if it comes with the mounting option you want.

P.S. Of the two, go for the one with the 300% reflectors.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same thing, same price, popular dealer:
http://www.hellolights.com/366lateklisu.html
Old 01-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

One thing I see as a potential problem, the mounting legs are on the same place, at both ends. You won't be able to use the both, in the middle, that's even if they will reach the brace. My 6foot has three braces and I don't think they are 36 inches apart, I think they are about 24 inches, so the leg braces won't work. Now that I think about it, the fans, in the middle would be blocked, by eachother. Plus it doesn't look like they have moonlight LEDs (presonal preference, they look really neat).
Personally, I love the ones I have and the hanging wasn't that difficult. If you go with the one I first posted, you get the MHs/moonlights and lights, it fits the tank and gaps where the braces are. That light does come with mounting legs, but as I stated earlier, it is heave and it would be a pain to take it off the tank to add....say a large chunk of LR. In your set up, you would also have two sets of wires.... If you can afford the extra $200, check into the one I suggested, this will also keep you from upgrading to more WPG, just n case you decide on different corals. When I started, I had no intention to do corals. Now that I got a 125G, I bought the better lights, so I can add them, if I want....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 01-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #20

Roka,

Now that you mention it. I wasn't even factoring in the braces. I was just thinking "72 inches, that's 36x2". I think you are right that the 2 36s wont work. The MH 72" I linked to at the beginning might be the way to go. It is in my budget and the more I look at other people's tanks, the more I want corals at some point. I will probably get that hanging kit just in case I run in to the problems that you outlined (which I'm sure I will). Hopefully one of my friends is handy enough to help me out.

dskidmore and roka....Thanks again. You both helped me immensely see problems I might not have seen otherwise. I am not that good with visualizations which is why I came here, so that I didn't buy impulsively.

Thanks again,
Mike

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com