Lighting for a 36 g bow sw reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason728123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm new to the sw and I'm currently turning my 36 g bow into a sw I was wounding if a current orbit led programable light with ramp would be ok for just this tank i would only want beginner corals and leathers and I'm still doing research on what I can have in the tank but if there any suggestion that would be great and also I have no room for a sum but I'm gonna buy a hang on refrag or can I use a breeder tank ? And I have hob aquaon filter and 25 ibs of live rock and 40 ibs live sand I might get more rock later I just don't want a tank full of rock and I also built a hob diy skimmer it works pretty good but all in all if you can help me in anyway that would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
The Current Orbit SHOULD be ok, especially for beginner corals. I have a DIY setup that is similar and I personally like the programmable features that goes with this setup like the ramp timing. The clouds and lightning feature I have in mine makes for a neat although sometimes distracting feature.

You can use a breeder for a sump if you have the room for it. If you can set one up I would recommend it. The main advantage to a sump is the increased water volume. More water means lower salinity swings with evaporation.

You also need to make sure you have enough flow in the tank. The live rock is your main biological filtration and, with enough flow, you really dont need the HOB filter except to use as a 'water polisher". (That assumes you dont overfeed your tank)

Ok thanks I will get that light then because I liked the features to and the size of it is pretty handy for the size of my tank also I will pick up a breeder to and set that up I wasn't sure if it would do much being a small hob tank but if that will help me with swings I will for sure and I have two 800 gph current pumps coming next week but I don't have the rock in yet till I get the pumps I'm buying the rock off a guy from winnipeg my home city he taking his 80 gallon down and I'm gonna buy 25-30 pounds of it , the rock is cycled already and ready to go but probley will want to clean it first before I put it in and should I just place it all in or should I do it slowly every few days and my tank is only a week old with live sand in it I also been putting food in it daily so I don't kill off the live sand but once I get the rock should I throw a piece of cocktail shrimp in it to get it realy cycling or just let it do it on its on and if I'm doing something wrong please let me no I wanna do this right

Thanks a lot for your input

I got the current USA orbit two months ago! So far I'm very happy with it. I would suggest more rock. I placed the extra rock in my sump so it didn't look so full in the display, just a suggestion. Good luck

I'm for sure getting this light then it seems lots of ppl are loving this light and how much can a tank handle for rock it a 36 g should I put at least 36 pounds or more if it dosnt look to much In the tank because I don't have room for the sump now but later on I will install I will have to cut my stank to fit a ten g in it because it has a solid centre board inside but no biggie or is it not good to introduce that much new water to a salt tank when it is established after a few months ?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom