Lighting for a 40 breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fred Garvin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank is roughly 36x18, 17 inches deep. i plan of setting it up as a South american tetra tank with a few cories. I want live plants and i'll put in a few pieces of drift-wood. No CO2 and 1 or 2 over-flow filters, as needed.

I last had old-fashioned florecents. It seems every-thing is T-5s and LEDs now.
I don't know if I should get a couple LED strips. If that's enough light. 36 inch T-5s are hard to find. I can't find a ready-made hood. Much less 1 with room for a couple of filter over-flows.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am big on the Beamsworks DA FSPEC with $5 dimmer I order on ebay. I have more then 5.
I also own fluval 2.0 planted[nice $$$] and the 24/7 ok for money but 1 out of 3 has bad transformer already....
https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FS...1511755260&sr=8-1&keywords=beamswork+da+fspec

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5A-Swi...var=550580398790&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I actually hang my 36 " lights above my 40breeders and still dim them a little.
I have the DA FSPEC on 24 and 48 also.NICE LIGHT...
Just got myself 10 more of the dimmers as they work on all LEDs I have that don't dim auto.

^^^ Nice, CB. This is certainly budget friendly fixture.
Do you have a link for the dimmers?
For the Beamswork if I want to use it “as is”, can I simply connect to a standard timer?

I wasn't wanting to hang the lights. I'd much prefer fixtures that will fit on the tank. Remembering that i need room for over-flow filters.

Barliman' it would seem with all this light, i could grow swords and other higher light level plants. Or am I dreaming?
Wouldn't 2-3 36 inch LED fixtures like you linked give sufficient light?
I don't want the tetras to appear washed out. i'll use a darker substrate.
And probably have a sand area for the cories.

My tank is roughly 36x18, 17 inches deep. i plan of setting it up as a South american tetra tank with a few cories. I want live plants and i'll put in a few pieces of drift-wood. No CO2 and 1 or 2 over-flow filters, as needed.

I last had old-fashioned florecents. It seems every-thing is T-5s and LEDs now.
I don't know if I should get a couple LED strips. If that's enough light. 36 inch T-5s are hard to find. I can't find a ready-made hood. Much less 1 with room for a couple of filter over-flows.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I have a Finnex 24/7 on my 40B which grows low to medium light "low tech" plants just fine. Funny thing is I dont use the 24/7 features . they are cool but after a while i never used them which = a waste of money. I have a Beamswork (forget the model) over a 55 growing Low/Medium light plants again "low tech" just fine . IMO Beamswork is a better bang for the buck. Paying extra for the cool features to me is not worth it. Want to go "High Tech" then just add two fixtures and co2 . if you go the CO2 route I suggest you dont skimp. get a decent reg @ greenleaf and dont forget your timer. trust me on that - I killed fish trying to save money

I saw several Beamswork fixtures that might work. They range in lumens from 2-5k. The tank is 18 inches wide so I could put 2 fixtures for better light distribution(unless 3 are suggested).

What do ya'll think is my best option in terms of lumens for 2-3 fixtures? Pretty sure i'll look into the $5 dimmer coralbandit mentioned. Or does that much light equate to, 'get CO2'?

Hello Fred...

Your post reads like you're keeping a basic, low tech tank. This is perfect for florescent lighting from your local hardware store. A 36 or 48 inch four bulb fixture and four T8 32 watt bulbs will provide more than enough light for a breeder tank with easy plants. Anubias, Java fern, Bananas, Hornwort, Water sprite and Penny wort are all good easy to grow plants. You can use a glass canopy to cover the tank and hang the lights above. I use this type of light with all my tanks. The lights burn very cool and last well over a year. The cost is no more than $60.00.

B

Thanks BBradbury! I know what shop lights are. i used them extensively when i was running multiple 20 longs.

I don't want to hang lights or have a glass canopy for that matter. I'd prefer the fixtures to fit. This tank isn't going in a 'fish-room'. The wife has input and she won't tolerate shop lights hanging free.

I just don't think a 5 inch wide LED fixture is going to be enough. that's why i asked for suggestions on what size lumen fixtures are recommended for an 18 inch wide tank. The Beamsworks come in 2k-5k and are $36-$55 each.

i wouldn't be surprised, if once the tank settles down, I try CO2. a kit seems to be Around $200 and I do like a thickly planted tank. With 20 longs only being 12 inches deep, that wasn't a problem

Barliman, it would seem with all this light, i could grow swords and other higher light level plants. Or am I dreaming?

Light in a tank can be deceptive to our eyes: what seems bright to us isn't so useful to the plants. But I've always thought of swords as low-to-medium light plants. At least, I don't recall any that require high light.

But, if you go without CO2 but with a high light, I think you're running the risk of problems with algae

So i ordered the 2k Beamswork fixture and it arrived broken. Returning tomorrow.
I've been looking at T5 fixtures ...4 bulbs, hopefully not too much light. for 'regular' plants. Around $81for the fixture and the bulbs might need replacing.
OR 2 2 bulb fixtures for $44 a piece, plus bulbs.

I need fixtures with a 'clean' look and had rather grow plants than algae.
Any advice would be helpful

Back
Top Bottom