Lighting for a Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rive1404

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was hoping to upgrade my 20 gallon saltwater tank as I at first thought that it would suffice...but then i contracted a sort of fever to where I just wanted to put more and more in it which led me to buying a used 75 gallon tank out of the classified section of a newspaper for $90.

My question is a LFS has 2 48" fixtures: a NOVA Extreme 48" T-5 Fixture 4 x 54W and a 48" 4x65W Coralife Aqualight PC Hood. I was hoping to start a reef tank with a wide variety of corals and various other inverts. Which of these light fixtures would anyone recommend? Or if you can think of any other fixture, please feel free to add.

Thanks
Nikee

Welcome to AA!
Between the 2 you mentioned, the T5 fixture will allow you to keep a wider range of corals.

Go with the Nova Extreme PRO. It has a much better reflector which will give you the light ouput you are looking for. I'm not sure the Nova Extreme will be any better than the PC light and possibly not as good. The Pro model also has better stands and is a more stable unit according to another admin/mentor who has both.

Thanks for the speedy replies! Another question. If I were to get the Nova Extreme fixture what kinds of corals would stay healthy and thrive under the given ligting conditions?

Welcome to AA!
Between the 2 you mentioned, the T5 fixture will allow you to keep a wider range of corals.

I took your advice cccapt and I purchased the Nova Extremes. Bought it off eBay for $150 and UPS delivered it to me with a broken daylight bulb :( . But I still couldn't be any happier! Thanks for the help guys.

I would caution you to let the fixture cool down before you replace the bulbs. I didn't and it cracked the ceramic end caps. I would suggest (when you change them) do it in the morning before the lights com on. That way, they will be completely cool and you shouldn't have an issue.

Back
Top Bottom