Lighting for Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan81

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I have an Eclipse hood on my 29 gallon FOWLR. I got it mainly because it will keep dog hair out(I have 2 huskies). I am wanting to add some corals but I think the lighting is not good enough. The hood will only house T8 18watt lights. is there anything that this type of lighting will support?

I dont really want to use a retro fit kit since im not very handy.

Mushrooms... maybe. And any of the non-photosynthetic corals, but in a small tank that'd be tough. Constant feeding would foul the water quality quick.

Those Eclipse hoods are nice, but don't really lend themselves well to a reef. If you could retro them with better lighting you'd probably end up with overheating issues due to the enclosed nature of the hood.

I thought about the mushrooms, but I wanna make sure I can care for them properly. I will eventually switch out the hood all together but I wanted to get some reef going now. When I make the switch I will need to figure out how to keep dog hair out....

Back
Top Bottom