lighting for desktop aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a 5 gallon desktop aquarium to keep on my work desk. It is awesome.

I don't like the lighting however. It's dull and "yellowish". It is a "15W incandescent lighted hood and bulb" as stated by the manufacturer.

Are there any bulbs I can buy that would fit in this hood to provide the bright white flourescent type look (similar to my t5 lighting on my 55g)?

This is the exact product:
Amazon.com: Mini Bow Desktop Kit Aquarium - 5 gallon - Blue: Kitchen & Dining

Wow, thanks! If I had to guess I would've guessed that there wouldn't be any fluorescent screw-in bulbs.

Nice to know :) going to order one of those bad boys

I'm wondering if I could safely spray paint the hood of this black?

You can use krylon fusion for inside or outside of the tank. Make sure it is dry before adding water. I used it to paint the plumbing black in my reef tank.

Well I managed to mess this tank up nicely!

Doesn't surprise me. I got paint all over the aquarium (it soaked through the paper i taped on there).

And I scratched the acrylic with sand.

I'm wondering if lacquer thinner will take the paint off of the acrylic and if I can use a fine grit sand paper to get out the scratches?

I could always just buy a new tank, but this sucker was $62 at the LFS, and DIY projects are fun :)

OK, nope. Not going to bother with it. I have myself a rather expensive 5 gallon bucket now :) needed a 5 gallon bucket anyone

ordered a new aquarium to replace that one

No live plants.
I got the 10000k light, no 50/50 actinic.
I tried both and just liked the white look better.

Back
Top Bottom