Lighting for Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Jobber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought my first piece of LR yesterday. Its a pretty nice 7 lbs piece. I would like to know what I need to do to improve my lighting. I have the original bulb that came with the tank, 20 watt 30in. I also have reason to believe that the tank gets some exposure to sunlight for a period of the day. What should I do? How much should I expect to pay?

When I visited the LFS several months ago, I was shown a replacement bulb and was told that it was what I needed. When I bought the LR yesterday, I was told I needed an entire new light that ran several hundred dollars. The guy didn't even explain to me what it was, just said I needed it. Luckily they were out of them.

Moved to equipment/hardware forum:

If you just want FOWLR and not corals then the current light you have is fine. If you want corals then you will need some new lighting dependent on the type of corals you want i.e. medium light or high light corals.

If wanting high light corals it could cost "several hundred dollars" but medium light corals could be done for around $60-140 with power compact lighting.

Back
Top Bottom