lighting for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smallfry53

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I currently have a 29g tank. I just bought a few plants, then realized my lighting might not be good enough. My hood says 20W on it, and has a 24" T8 bulb in it. From what I have been reading I'm pretty sure that isn't enough light for live plants, but I'm not sure what to do. I have been told that getting a different bulb probably isn't going to be enough. So I'm guessing that means a new hood, but I have no idea what I should get. Is there a different bulb I could buy for the hood that would work or do I need a new hood? This lighting stuff is a mystery to me. I have been reading a lot about it, but I don't really understand most of it. If anyone could share their thoughts on what they would do I would appreciate it.

Dear smallfry53,
If you do low light plants such as anubias, crypts, etc you should be okay...a 24" T8 "flora" or grow light with a higher K level could boost your light more for the plants.
Chris+

I have found some 20W 24" T8 flora bulbs online. Would that be a lot better then my current 17W daylight bulb, or should I stick to 17W flora bulb since my hood says 20W? Could that overheat the hood?

Back
Top Bottom