Lighting for Reef Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper92

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 110 gallon acryllic tank. Im planning to go reef with this tank but it'd be a casual upgrade to reef. Im trying to decide between two 4 bulb 60" t5 fixtures or one 60" halide fixture. The tank is 24" tall and i feel like halides would be overkill especially since the fixture has 3 bulbs. Im also afraid it would slowly melt away the top of my tank since a majoriry of it is covered. Which one seems like a better choice?

The ones I have are working well. They were cheap ($160.00 a piece shipped). I'm no pro but the PAR meter doesn't lie and the corals are growing and are very colorful. That's proof enough for me.

They don't have any optics, so the spread is pretty wide. I would say that of a halide (2' x 2'), maybe a little more on the long end since it's more rectangular.

My tank is 5 feet long, do you think those LED's could cover a good area of the tank? I can take pictures or give more measurements of need be.

How many? 3 of them would be great. 2 of them and you'll have to raise them up a bit, and you may get some shadowing towards the ends.

I think i can do 3 of them. Money isnt an issue, if i have to save and wait it out i will. Its a matter of making sure the light gets through the acryllic.

Back
Top Bottom