Lighting for reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LEDs off eBay are good for starting out. Less power and no bulb changes every 9 months. Just search 120watt dim able led aquarium fixture. There is a seller supermart168 that sells them for around $120 each. You'll need two. These are the "taotronics" everyone talks about.

Yes just remember they produce heat and you will have to change the bulbs at least every year. LEDs will last 50,000 hours before burning out. There are people who swear by each and hate the other I can tell you I've had t5s, power compacts and metal halide but just still love my LEDs. I just ordered a $900 Atlantik fixture for my 55.

LED would IMO be better. The prices for the panels have dropped a lot recently. You can now get two full spectrum Dimmable panels for around $185... And single panels for <$100.

To grow SPS with a T5, 4 bulb would be low light, but 6 would be optimum. With bulb replacing, now T5 isn't always worth it anymore.

Is Aquatic Life LED Aquarium Light Fixture or Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 48 to 60-Inch good? I don't want to hang the light.

The main specs you're looking for is they should use quality LEDs like Cree or bridgelux. Quality drivers. And I like 3 watt LEDs. A ton of 1 watt leds won't penetrate like the 3 watt LEDs will. Also lens angle if they have them.

I only have a 55 gallon tank wont that fry the corals? I herd that you need a watt of led per gallon of tank.

No I ran two of them on my 55. You get the dimmables so that your lights will handle whatever you get into. I ran 4 on my 210 before I took it down. One way per gallon is awful low for a reef tank. LPS and SPS will demand much more light than that.

R these good TaoTronics Led Aquarium Light Led Reef Light for Coral Fish Seaweed their a $100
Each on amazon? do they have a night time mode. And is Ecoxotic Panorama Marine LED Light Fixture good?

Back
Top Bottom