Lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmkb02

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Currently over my 135, I have a 2x150 watt hqi ballast. I am looking to upgrade but am having a hard time finding a unit that will penetrate through almost 26" of water. Should I just go with a couple 250 watt metal halides? Will this handle the job? I want the ability to grow anything in the tank up to sps. Any ideas?? Thx

Can they penetrate that depth and still put out enough light for my lps?

Yes as long as you got the proper optics. I think you would need somewhere around 60 degree optics for each 3w LEDs.

Thanks X. How are the colors with these?? I've done just a little research but I've noticed that the higher end fixtures have red and green as well... What do you think of these colors in a fixture?

My corals don't seem to need them. They grow like weeds. I love the way these make my tank look too. I think it's a matter of personal preference more than a need.

You can also check out reefbreeders value fixture. It is the same as the ebay fixture except, you get more colors (helps make different colored corals pop) and and a 2 year warranty for an additional $30.

Currently over my 135, I have a 2x150 watt hqi ballast. I am looking to upgrade but am having a hard time finding a unit that will penetrate through almost 26" of water. Should I just go with a couple 250 watt metal halides? Will this handle the job? I want the ability to grow anything in the tank up to sps. Any ideas?? Thx

My tank is 30" deep and leds penetrate to the bottm i have sps on bottom and a clam that are doin great 90° optics will work

3W LED can get all the way down to 32" deep with no problem, anything deeper can try 5W LEDs, less efficient but can go much deaper.

As far as for color, the coral really need spike in blue, red/orage/green helps very little to coral growth but more of a eye candy so the coral look more " natural" to human eyes. UV or violet helps "BRING OUT" Coloration of the coral but is not a "must" to coral growth.

img_2259922_0_24b649860d492e19574b14ae578f51bd.jpg

3W LED can get all the way down to 32" deep with no problem, anything deeper can try 5W LEDs, less efficient but can go much deaper.

As far as for color, the coral really need spike in blue, red/orage/green helps very little to coral growth but more of a eye candy so the coral look more " natural" to human eyes. UV or violet helps "BRING OUT" Coloration of the coral but is not a "must" to coral growth.

Thx, I will definitely use this in the future!

Do you have the one with the reds and greens or just the blue/white combo??

Right on, let me know how that works out....

You can also check out reefbreeders value fixture. It is the same as the ebay fixture except, you get more colors (helps make different colored corals pop) and and a 2 year warranty for an additional $30.

Terrance: I am looking into potentially getting these lights. Are you running them on timers? If so do you run all the colors, and then just the blues in the evening? Is this possible?

I believe that the reef breeder comes with 2 power plug. You can plug 2 separate timer to control the 2 channel. However you cannot choose dimming, you will have to preset

Back
Top Bottom