Lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
After 15 years of VHO`s I`m ready for a change. Anyone have suggestions on what I should graduate to on my lighting. Anyone have any suggestions on lighting deals that are out there. Kind of lost touch with the lighting scene and need help. I have a 6 foot tank and about 24 inches deep. Thanks for the help.

For your reef tank? What do you want out of the lights, just the basics (on/off) or the extras (multi channels, ramp up/down, etc)? And what's your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I`m thinking LED`s would cost too much. Maybe some MH`s. Timer and ON/OFF. Basics I guess. I`m thinking about 700.00.

What about those tao panels everyone is talking about on fleabay?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What about those tao panels everyone is talking about on fleabay?

The Taos would definitely be a good option for you, 3 will cover your tank and come in at half your budget. Esch covers a 2'x2' area, and it will save a ton of money when it comes time to replace those mh bulbs. And the cross braces won't be a problem with them either as one will cover each section.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Doug, You think those will do fine in my tank. I`m kind of looking to upgrade my lighting so you are saying that three of them should be better than what I have now?

Absolutely. You'll never have to replace lamps again, plus these are much more powerful than what you have. Wait till you see them over your tank. I'm confident you will be impressed.
You just need to decide between the full spectrum or the blue and whites. I prefer the blue and whites, but many prefer the full spectrum. I don't like the pink look some of them create. I suppose this is because of the red LEDs in them. The ones I posted only have 2 reds, so they may be ok.

I guess I`ll have to find a way to hang them over the tank. Thanks everyone for your posts. I think I`ll go with Doug`s suggestion. Never thought I`d be able to have LED`s. Again thanks.

You could probably put them inside your canopy if it's tall enough. They have 4 hanging points on the top of the fixtures, but they do need a little bit of clearance on top, since the fans pull air from the top and blow it out the sides. A half inch should be plenty. I prefer pulling fresh air from outside the canopy though. I don't know if you want to cut holes in it or not... How much room do you have between the water surface and the top of your canopy?

I don't really have a canopy. I have that reflective dome over my lights. I`ll be buying these Monday. Anything else I need to know?

You could use some decent grade 90° brackets with a copper cross bar to hang hook and chain.. i like the look of steel cable myself! Square stock aluminum hit with a grinder looks awesome too!! Easy to drill, cut and sand!

Acclimate your corals slowly...even though they may not seem more intense to the naked eye, they are extremely powerful. Dial them way back for a couple/few weeks. I suggest building an apparatus to hold them now. I would make a upside down U shape with galvanized conduit painted black. You could bolt it to the sides of the stand, or perhaps the back.

One last question Doug or anyone who wants to answer. How far above the water surface do I want these lights. Sorry if it`s a dumb question but I`ve been out of the "lights" scene for many a year.

Acclimate your corals slowly...even though they may not seem more intense to the naked eye, they are extremely powerful. Dial them way back for a couple/few weeks. I suggest building an apparatus to hold them now. I would make a upside down U shape with galvanized conduit painted black. You could bolt it to the sides of the stand, or perhaps the back.

+1 Don't look into them like I did when I got my LEDS. :) You're gonna love LEDS Mike! (y)

I`ll order next week while I`m on vacation and they should be ready to set up when I get back. The Blue and white ones have ended but I can still the multi color ones.

Back
Top Bottom