Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-08-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
lighting help!

I am starting up my planted aquarium again (It was down for a year or so) and I was looking to replace the florescent bulbs (4x40watt) I went to Home depot to buy the Plant and Aquarium bulbs like I did last time but the ones they have now are much lower in the spectrum. They are like 2700K. I dont know what my old ones were but they are much bluer. I already purchased two..do I need to return them or will it be ok. Thanks

Khlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I dont know if your going to have to return the ones you purchased but.. they sell "daylight" bulbs that are 6500K and another bulb that is 5500K in the same isle as the P&A bulbs. they are a little cheaper and just as good. the lower color temp is suppose to be good for flowering and fruit bearing in plants rather then growing plant structure from my research.. but 2700K is a bit low for that.. it usually starts a little higher then that.. In other words, they might work but the 5000-6500K bulbs are proven performers for plant growth..

greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
home depot, or even ACE hardware, carries a really great "Plant and Aquarium bulb", by GE, that's almost identical to the 9325K power compact also made by GE, which is one of the best plant tubes you can buy.
Best part is they are only $5-$10 depending on wattage. they should be very pinkish/purple when lit. Mix two of those with your two new bulbs, and you should have a decent looking light in the tank, that grows plants well. 2700k will grow plants just fine, but has a kind of sickly yellow look that only looks good on a few types of fish, and not real good on any plants. the GE's will balance that out. it still may not seem as bright as it used to be just because the color temperature isn't real white.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting, lighting help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com