lighting needs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jprince

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!

It's been a while since I've posted, but I have a question. My tank is now 6 mos. old, and I have the overwhelming urge to add a bulb tip anemone to host my Clowns. I have a 45 gallon high and need good depth penetration. I am shying away from the cost and heat output of MH and wanted a few opinions as to what to look for. I was considering a Nova Extreme model 1121. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jeff

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion. Do you have a link to that light?

for the best light out put on any fixture you want to look for parabolic reflectors for each individual bulb. i believe the one you're looking at has a single reflector over all the bulbs. if you can afford it i would suggest the nova extreme pro or a TEK fixture. or if you're a diy'er you can put together your own with retro fits like t&s suggested.

How deep is the tank?
I am shying away from the cost and heat output of MH and wanted a few opinions as to what to look for.
This seems to be a common misconception. 100w of MH or 100w of T5 will use the same amount of electricity and produce the same amount of heat. 100w is 100w no matter if it's a toaster or light bulb. The difference is T5's can be easier to cool.

i thought that the fluorescents are more efficient in converting the electric into light there for more wattage is released into light energy then heat energy which meant that less heat was produced.

The actual depth of the tank is 22" to my sand bed, but I am figuring a fudge factor of a few more inches if I get a light with "feet" that hold it above the rim of the tank. I thought it is lumens rather than watts that is the deciding factor in lighting needs? I plan on keeping corals with moderate light needs, so I don't want to get too crazy. I am a big fan of the K.I.S.S. method ;)

i thought that the fluorescents are more efficient in converting the electric into light there for more wattage is released into light energy then heat energy which meant that less heat was produced.
If you have some time, there is a huge thread on RC about this. Some pretty interesting stuff, at least I thought so ;)

I am a big fan of the K.I.S.S. method ;)
Me too. Simple = less things to go wrong.

I would look at the Nova Extreme PRO, they are an improvement over the Nova Extremes. The PRO does not have a true parabolic reflector but has rounded reflectors for each bulb. I considered the Tek lighting systems, but you only get the fixture and not the bulbs, mounting brackets, splash guards or fan (all need to be ordered separate).

Back
Top Bottom