Lighting on a budget, best option?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 90 gallon freshwater tank with African cichlids. I'd like to upgrade from the cheap stock light that came with it but am on a budget so....... What is my best option?

1. Db solarmaxhe2 t5 for $75
2. Current nova extreme 2xt5ho for $50
3. Junk pl-jd2 with added moonlight for $100
4. Jebo compact with 4 65w for 50

I am new to this and my head is spinning trying to make sense of lighting so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm in the same situation, really starting to question the value of a kit when most of the stuff they come with will need to be upgraded someday!
But we've ordered a kit to swap out the guts of the light on ours, allowing us to keep the rest of the hood instead of buying an all glass top. Check out ahsupply dot com, good product from what I can tell, and great service.

- D

I'm planning on using a dual bulb fixture I got at home depot for $8 on my 4' 75g tank. I think the 90's are the same length if I'm not mistaken. Are you looking to grow plants or just want a brighter tank? If you just want more light so you can see your fish, go with a fixture like that. You can put any color bulb in it. I got daylight bubls (6500k) that I got from home depot for a couple bucks a bulb. All in all you can have 80 watts for less than $20.

Yes, the 90 gallon is the same size as a 75 just a bit taller. Some of the light I listed include led moonlights that would be cool. I don't have plants at the moment but may try to grow some hardy plants at some point. I can swing 50-100 bucks so I was hoping to get feedback on those options to see if any are a good deal.

Is the lighting you mentioned from home depot fluorescents?

Another option is an odyssea t5ho trio with led moonlight and built in timer for $85. Decisions decisions..........

Yes the $8 one is 40 watt T12 bulbs. They also have some T5 lights there, although I didn't check the price. I'll be there again within a few days and I'll check, just out of curiosity. Have you checked out fishneedit? They have some good lights for a fair price, if they are in stock.

Back
Top Bottom