Lighting opinion needed for 180 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwilliams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in need of help on what is the best lighting system for a 180gal tank for LPS, SPS, BTA, Inverts, Zoanthus Colony Polyp Corals, Duncans, Fish, LR & LS of coarse.... That will not kill ones pocket book..

Tank Deminsions: 72X24X24.

Any advise will be greatly apprecaited..

MH or LEDs are really what would be worth it, if you're gonna do it once, do it right. look up ryshark's 180G build, if i ever get one its gonna be modeled after his, and he has 2 MH and a new LED fixture

Thanks I just got finished reading all of those threads of his 180-gallon upgrade. Totally awesome tank he has....

you can use metal halide, LED, or T5 ho as well. any of those will do a fantastic job for you.
halides- 3 x 250 (lumenarc mini or lumenbrite reflectors would be preferrable)
LED- something at least comparable to a 250 watt halide (they should have PAR numbers to back that up)
T5 HO- 8 bulbs per 3 feet (in a fixture with individual reflectors per bulb)

Thanks Doug. I will be doing the 3ft because when I was at the LFS and saw how big the box was that the 6ft came in I knew that there is no way I could handle that light system by myself. Is there any particular brand that supports the above that you mentioned?
mary

there are a few that i can think of. what did you want to spend? which way did you want to go? halides, T5s or LED?

What ever would be the best because I do not want to have to upgrade later on down the road but if they are too expensive then I will have to go with the T5's and save up for the combo light system.
Price is a issue as to I do not want to kill my pocket book.
I was kind of leaning towards a combination light systems: halide, t5 & leds in one unit..

I have not gotten the tank yet. I am trying to get all the other items needed for the tank before I go in a order it. It will have two braces on the top.

ok then. i found some interesting fixtures that are good quality. unfortunately, i think you have more options if you go with the 6' fixture, unless you go straight T5 HO.
this (3 x 250 watt halides with 4 x 80 watt T5 HO)
Hamilton Technology Cebu Sun 72 inch Fixture

this (also 3 x 250 watt halides with T5 HO supplement)
Sunlight Supply Maristar 72 inch 3X250W 4X39W T5 Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting Fixture

there is also this, which will work for you and is considerably cheaper-
RenegadeReefers.org • Information

then there is this (bulbs not included)
Aqua Medic Ocean T5 Light Fixtures

you can also go with 3 pendants. LEDs or halides.

Thanks
I like the first and second links that you sent could not pull up the 3rd link it is blocked by our IT dept.... go figure... and the Aqua Medic not to bad but to much for no lamps.
What are the 3 pendants? Is that the clamp on MH's?
Can the T5's penatrate that depth of 24"?

no..the clamp-ons are junk. if you are interested in pendants i'll find you some nice ones.
of course t-5 HO's can penetrate 24". i know a guy who keeps clams and anemones as well as sps in a 30" deep tank with t5s over it.

sure. now, you have your choice of LED, or metal halide.

if i was going to use halides, i would get 3 of these. they are the best you can get in terms of reflectivity-
Lumen Bright 3 SE Mogul Base PENDANT by CoralVue* - AquaCave
and then 3 ballasts. i'd probably go with sunlight supply galaxy electronic ballasts. i would have said icecap for ballasts, but they just went out of business, and that can't be good for the warranty.

now, LED i don't know a whole lot about. i do know that you should have dimming capabilities, and the fixtures you choose should be backed up by actual PAR numbers, not just that they are "real bright", or make the corals "pop".

Thanks I was just looking at those and a few others that had the word pendant on them and saw a few that I liked. Could 2 of those go on a 55gal tank are would that be to strong since it is not very deep.

Back
Top Bottom