lighting options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, i am sure this has been covered a million times, but i'll ask anyway. I have a 55gallon, 48L, 12W, 20H...I want a middle of the road lighting fixture. Nothing crazy, but nothing cheap. I wouldn't mind spending up to 200 bucks on it. I would like it to be able to grow some low to medium light plants, such as mosses, the moss ball, and whatever else. I realize some of these plants can do without light but i would like some increased growth rate. Also i would like the option for the blue lunars i guess at night for the nighttime affect i guess you would call it.

Any personal experiences or recommendations I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Honestly, a single T5HO would be all I'd put over a 20 without co2. If you go with a 2x24w, I'd get an actinic bulb and a daylight (6500k-10,000k). If you go with a 2x24w, and use two daylight bulbs, you're going to have to inject co2 IMO.

For a good, reliable, affordable, unit.. check out fishneedit.com

I love my fishneedit fixtures... I have 3 and another on the way. IMO, they're the best bang for your buck

EDIT: wow... not sure where I got 20g at??? Yeah, a 2x54w is going to be on the verge of needing co2, but you should be able to do fine with some excel dosing.

Pick a good quality fixture with a nice reflector and individual switches so that you can adjust the light output according to your needs. 1 bulb with a good reflector is more than enough to do low-medium plants, 2 bulbs with a good reflector may push you over into needing co2/ferts.

You can get some really nice 48" 2 bulb fixtures with that budget.

The fishneedit one that mfd linked is really nice quality and a great value.

Awesome, do these have cooling fans. I can't tell from the picture and the description doesn't say.

No, but the 2 bulb fixtures don't get hot enough to need one. The 4 bulb fixtures don't get super hot, but I'm considering putting fans on my two 4 bulb fixtures.

Also, i should get one white bulb and one blue bulb? Does it have the ability to do the night time lunar look?

If you want the lunar look, get moon lights, they are LEDs. I would not put an actinic on a FW planted tank personally, it doesn't hurt anything but I prefer using light in the spectrum that the plants can use it easier (~6500k-~10000k)

Some fixtures have moonlights on them, i know that catalina and i believe fishneedit fixtures have optional ones that can be added fairly cheap.

I've actually been considering getting that one for my 125. You will definitely end up needing to use pressurized co2 if you try to run all 3 bulbs. I think 3 is overkill personally unless you are planning a really high tech planted tank. But one nice thing is that fixture has multiple switches so you can set it accordingly.

Yea, i'm just looking for something that will support the growth of medium light plants, with the lunar moonlight look at night. I guess i should just go with the fishneedit.com light, with two white lights. Now do i do 6700K or 10000k? And to support my lunar light obsession just get the LED strips they sell?

I don't know of any fixtures off the top of my head that have the LED moonlights in them that I could recommend, but there are several.

If you go with a separate setup for the moonlights, google around and check ebay, there are alot of options and some are very cheap.

I'd go with 6700k bulbs. If you want a whiter light, then go with one 6700k and one 10000k.

Yes you can have too much light. Too much light is often the reason behind algae issues that people have in their planted tanks.

Personally I would only run 1 of those bulbs if I wasn't adding Co2. Once I got a regular liquid co2 dosing routine or pressurized co2 I'd add a second light, but in a 55g I wouldn't ever want to run all 4 of them.

I think your best bet would be a 2x54w (6500k-10000k) w/ moon lights, preferably one that has independent switches for each light.

Back
Top Bottom