lighting pics.....need opinions and advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I posted this on another thread, but no one commented except zacdl (thank you btw). I'm frustrated because my new PC lighting makes my tank water appear green. Is it just me or does it look green? Also, I took pics with just NO lighting and NO and PC together. Any thoughts would be appreciated! (2X65 03 actinics and 2X65 10K bulbs on a 55 gal)

PC only:

img_424487_0_2e01dd1cf986db39f99741de7f90b75f.jpg

NO only:

img_424487_1_fa400c257eb63668d20f4706fdcb0789.jpg

PC and NO together:
img_424487_2_03e0a8ce8b8c34e75a90363cb6264f7c.jpg

It's just frustrating to spend all that money on PC's when my cheapo NO 36W bulb looks better!

Patience Nate... there's no need to post in multiple areas... you'll just end up ruffling feathers around here that way. Lighting is all a matter of preference. If you want to keep corals, you will need high output lights. If you do not mind w/o corals, you can keep NO lights.

Contact the manufacturer and see if they can send a replacement. HTH

It doesn't help that glass tanks have a green tint to them. Starphire glass and acrylic doesn't have that green tint.

Your middle shot looks great. If you don't like the green tone, look for a bulb with a red/pink hue. Pinkish (actually magenta) is the compliment of green and it will cancel that color.

I noticed that my 50/50 bulb has a slight pinkish tone. That might help.

Sometimes tanks do put off a greenish tint to it because of materials. It could also be the 10k bulbs putting out the green as well. I would do what runaway1 said and replace it with the 50/50 bulb. This will help put out better color.

Mike

You may think that your tank looks better with NO bulbs, but what about 6 months from now when you have beautiful corals in your tank? It might be better to keep the PC's and put in some nice looking corals. I'd rather have an assortment of bright corals with ok looking PC light than nice NO light and no life besides fish. Chances are eventually you won't even think about it. Good luck!!!

Money is the name of the game in salt water. My light was more expensive than my tank. But pics look good! Like the purple once I got a MH my purple started to die only on top. But it should do very well under PC

i have the same lighting, and my tank doesnt have such a greenish tint on it. I have a 55 gallon all glass tank. I will try and take some pics asap, wonder if you got a bad set of bulbs and the spectrum is off?

i would try to get A 50/50. I think that might solve your problem, thats what i have and my tank looks great. sorry i don't have a camera so i can't post pics

Thanks for the replies....I'm gonna do a big water change and replace charcoal (might just be an alae bloom) and over a few weeks time if it doesn't improve, I'll try the 50/50.

Back
Top Bottom