lighting placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought NOVA Extreme light fixture. It came with two options for mounting. The first is mounting legs and the second is sitting light fixture directly on aquarium with sticky tabs holding it in place. Wouldn't the 2nd option make the lights to close to the water?
I guess my question is how do most of you have your lights placed on your aquarium.

I prefer the legs. If you use the sticky stuff, you will have to move it to do tank maint and the sticky will eventually not be sticky.

I would also suggest the legs. Having the fixture that close to the water can cause heat issues and you will end up with salt spray/salt creep on the fixture.

I agree the legs will be better and allow less salt creep on it. Also moving this to General hardware and equipment discussion.

I also agree, definately the legs over the tabs.

or, this is another option:
IMG_1918.JPG

The only issue is the nova doesn't have any way to attach anything to the top, unless you glue something to the top for Neilan's way to work

The only issue is the nova doesn't have any way to attach anything to the top, unless you glue something to the top for Neilan's way to work

I wouldn't suggest gluing. Maybe drilling a hole on each end and putting in an eyebolt similar to that of Neilans setup.

Nope, he has it set up just like that. Looks really good too! He should have had a tank shot (even though it's FW, with it up and running), but it is impressive.

I agree with scott. You don't even notice the lights you are too focused on the awesome tank. Roka and I have both seen it in person and it is impressive

Yeah just screw in some eye-hooks to hang it, prob use 2 on each side to make it level due to the weight of the cord making it lean.

As far as the "canopy" it depends on what you mean, seems many of these SW guys dont like a glass one due to CO2, I think? And like to use "egg-crate" instead or nothing.

I have my "shoplight" hanging from the ceiling over my 55G and bought some glass tops but dont care to use them so far, I guess when I get some more fish, if they seem like "jumpers" then I will go back to using them.

Back
Top Bottom