Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
When I was over at the Good doctor`s site doing some reading today I ran up on an article that said " When used with electronic ballasts, VHO lamps should last 18 months or more without any significant decrease in intensity or spectral quality." I have been changing mine every 6 months because that was what I had been hearing needed to be done. According to this I could be going much longer. What is your take on it?

I haven't seen or know of any studies done on VHO bulbs, so I can't say for sure, but I would think you can easily get 12-18 mos from VHO's. I'm not sure why an electronic ballast would make them last longer....except maybe because Dr F&S only sells electronic VHO ballasts (just a guess!).

Thanks Larry. Yes I just didnt think you could get that much out of them but maybe you can.

No direct answer since I use PC bulbs, and replace every 6 months, but...

Just remember that this is the same company that had an "advertorial" in their latest catalog gushing about bottled bacteria and having fish in your tank within 24 hours of setting it up. :rolleyes:

let your flora and fauna tell you. if they're not getting the spectrum they need things will change in your tank. although i only have a freshwater tank but when my bulbs were to old my plants stopped doing so well and when i replaced the bulbs they started taking over the tank again.

i can see bulbs lasting longer on electronic ballasts than those old magnetic ballast. it's a more controlled electric current and amp and less fluctuation. as to the spectral quality i wouldnt think there would be much difference between the two.

Back
Top Bottom