lighting question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelgirl66

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm new to this site. I have a lighting question. I have a 55g fw that has only recently finished a fishless cycle. I have eco complete substrate, cascade 1200 filter and have 2 heaters.

It's currently only stocked with 10 cardinals and 1 baby angel. I will be getting a couple BN plecos, maybe some dwarf neon rainbows and maybe some rummynose tetras. Just a peaceful community lol

I bought this tank from someone off CL. It came with the basic lighting I'm guessing was original with the tank. I want to have a low light plant tank, with crypts, java ferns, anubias, dwarf sag. Maybe vals too. I have driftwood in there already too.

My dilemma is, I want to upgrade the light as what is in there right now doesn't seem enough. It has 2 hoods with 1 each of the Zoo Med ultra light 15w 5500K lights.

I have been doing a lot of reading and research regarding lights... and am still confused as to what to get lol. I wont be running CO2. I just need a better light than is currently on there, that won't be too strong and give me severe algae. I will of course be dosing with root tabs and Excel.

I found this one on Big Als.

Freshwater Aqualight T5 Series Double Linear Strip Light

Would this be ok for my intended tank?

Thanks in advance...any advice, links, etc is much appreciated.

I would go with T5HO. I don't even think that light you linked would be enough light as they are only 28w bulbs. A 4' T5HO will be 54w each... fishneedit.com has some good prices on their T5HO fixtures. Current makes a very good fixture, but it's going to be considerably more expensive.

I went to fishneedit.com...found a 4' light. Asks what kind of bulbs and what kind of color temp for them. If I'm just going to have a lowish light planted with no CO2, what do I get?

Does the pink bulbs really work for plants, or should I just get 2 white instead? 6700K or 10,000K? Here is a link...

T5-ho 4ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting

I would go with just the white bulbs and the highest k offered which I believe was either 10000 or 14000. That should be plenty for low light plants.

6700K bulbs put out both the red and blue light that plants use. I would have to see the spectrum analysis on the pink bulb to make a decision there.

Back
Top Bottom