Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am gearing up for becoming a true newbie and starting my tank. I was looking at lighting and found two sets I was interested in. They were Marineland LEDs and one was adjustable from 36" - 48" and the other was fixed at 48". The price difference was over $100. Are there fewer lights on the adjustable one or are they arranged differently? Does anyone know if LEDs work as well? If I buy the adjustable will my tank suffer?

What size is your tank (volume/dimensions)?

If your tank wil hold the 48" fixed, I'd suggest that one and it'll save you that C-note towards something else you'll need (filter, heater, etc) :D.

What are you trying to do with your tank and do you have links to these lights? Marineland makes three series of LED lights and they're very different from one another.

It is a 55g and I was looking at reef capable LEDs at aquarium guys's website. The fixed 48" was a little over $100 more than the 36"-48" adjustable. I am taking the plunge into saltwater with a recently aquired tank. I am going slowly as I am really a newbie at this. I was thinking that if I get the adjustable, I could keep the things that need high intensity light the middle. I am assuming I have to go with reef capable.

Our Products

The Marineland site shows a 36"-48" adjustable and a 48"-60" adjustable fixtures. The larger fixture has ten extra white LEDs and two extra blue LEDs. If you're serious about a reef, I'd spring for the larger fixture. It'll light the entire length of your tank whereas the 36" fixture will leave 6" on either end directly unlit.

Thanks, I need all of the advice I can get. Someone told me to go all fish and no reef or structure. I know it's easier but I want to learn. Wouldn't that make the fish very uncomfortable? I am now building up the nerve to drill my tank.

For what it's worth I would at least do a fish only with live rock (although I guarantee you will find yourself wanting to add coral and do a reef before long). The live rock adds so much more stability to your tank. In my opinion it's much easier to keep a stable FOWLR than FO tank. Also much more attractive. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom