Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alrite thanks for the help I think I may email this guy and inquire a little more about the light, I really want to have nice colorful corals and don't want to be limited by my lighting ya no

Old 07-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey mr x, what colored light bulbs should I get best for reef? And should I stagger the bulbs?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What do you mean by stagger the bulbs? I went with ATI aquablue specials and blue plus bulbs for my actinics.

I have the whites all one one switch and the blues on another. I start the blues at 9am the whites at 10am. The at 8 pm the whites go off and at 9 the blues go off. I do not use moonlights.

Hope that helps some
Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

By staggered I mean white next to actinic next to white and so on, and there are different actinics too right? What are all the diff colors used for?? I'm going to look at that t5 fixture after work and if it works I'll prolly pick it up it's a pretty good deal.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would keep the whites all on the one switch and the blues on the other. Usually the bulbs stagger in the unit to do this.

I'm talking ATI bulbs here so keep that in mind. My whites are called aquablue specials because they arent 10k spectrum bulbs, they are mosre 12k whichis a bluer, crisper white, not the bright white that can make a tank yellowish.

My actinics are called blue plus cause they are extra blue.

From aquacaves description

ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO Aquarium Lamps.

Combines the properties of a Blue bulb with a Actinic Blue 03 bulb producing a unique spectrum that encourages both bluing in SPS corals and fluorescence in capable corals. Also helps balance out a washed-out/yellow hued tank. Great as a supplement to metal halides or in combination with a 6500K Sun Pro or Aquablue Special bulb.

I hope that helps a bit. You can get different hues depending on the bulbs you use. Some people like the KZ bulbs, they can offer a purple bulb for a different hue.

Colors are all up to you.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you for the detailed response! I think u hit everything I was curious about thank you
Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good deal. let us know if you get the fixture.

And yeah, the bulbs are gonna be pricey, but really, you'll only save a few bucks if you get the cheapo's so invest in the good bulbs. I know ATI is the cheaper of the hi end bulbs, KZ and Geissmeman are more money I believe, by a few bucks a bulb.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Carey how much do those go for a piece?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ATI's in 54w, 48" are about 21.95 and 20.95 I think. At Aquarium Supplies, Aquarium Supply, Aquarium Equipment, AquaCave.com Offers, Discount Fish Tanks & Fish Tank Supplies for Saltwater, Marine, Coral Reef Guide, Freshwater Aquarium anyways
Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I picked up the light! 150 bucks thought it was a pretty good deal for a lot of light that thing is bright!!

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com