Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowsdime

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone I've just recently cycled my fowlr, and I know I'm not ready to get a reef going, atleast I dont feel I am ready as this is my first SW tank, I am wondering for the future if my lighting is up to par for keeping corals I am currently running a current brand fixture with dual compact florescent, one is a 96 watt actinic blue light, and the other is 96 watt white light not sure of the kelvins cuz I threw out the box, also it has 3 led moonlights, I'm just curious as to what I can house with this light someday I would love to have a colorful reef, but if I need to upgrade my lights I'd like to keep my eyes peeled for any good deals on cl or eBay.
Thanks

PCs usually don't give very good lighting, so if all you want are some medium and low light corals it's fine.

Ok what types of corals qualify as low to med light?? And what would you suggest for lighting if i wanted to go all out..

LPS and softies/polyps/mushrooms.

If you wanted some better stuff look for a T5HO fixture with at least 4 bulbs

Ok thank you for the help, I think I may start with some of the easier corals only I don't get is it say you have to feed some of them I guess I will have read up some more

Hey everyone how would this fixture be for doing reef?? A guy on craigslist is selling one of these for 150$ let me know what you guys think of the fixture and that price

yep. that's a very good fixture for your size tank. btw, you don't have to feed most soft corals. good lighting is enough.

Alrite thanks for the help I think I may email this guy and inquire a little more about the light, I really want to have nice colorful corals and don't want to be limited by my lighting ya no

Hey mr x, what colored light bulbs should I get best for reef? And should I stagger the bulbs?

What do you mean by stagger the bulbs? I went with ATI aquablue specials and blue plus bulbs for my actinics.

I have the whites all one one switch and the blues on another. I start the blues at 9am the whites at 10am. The at 8 pm the whites go off and at 9 the blues go off. I do not use moonlights.

Hope that helps some

By staggered I mean white next to actinic next to white and so on, and there are different actinics too right? What are all the diff colors used for?? I'm going to look at that t5 fixture after work and if it works I'll prolly pick it up it's a pretty good deal.

I would keep the whites all on the one switch and the blues on the other. Usually the bulbs stagger in the unit to do this. :)

I'm talking ATI bulbs here so keep that in mind. My whites are called aquablue specials because they arent 10k spectrum bulbs, they are mosre 12k whichis a bluer, crisper white, not the bright white that can make a tank yellowish.

My actinics are called blue plus cause they are extra blue.

From aquacaves description

ATI Blue Plus + T5 HO Aquarium Lamps.

Combines the properties of a Blue bulb with a Actinic Blue 03 bulb producing a unique spectrum that encourages both bluing in SPS corals and fluorescence in capable corals. Also helps balance out a washed-out/yellow hued tank. Great as a supplement to metal halides or in combination with a 6500K Sun Pro or Aquablue Special bulb.

I hope that helps a bit. You can get different hues depending on the bulbs you use. Some people like the KZ bulbs, they can offer a purple bulb for a different hue.

Colors are all up to you. :)

Thank you for the detailed response! I think u hit everything I was curious about thank you

Good deal. let us know if you get the fixture. :)

And yeah, the bulbs are gonna be pricey, but really, you'll only save a few bucks if you get the cheapo's so invest in the good bulbs. I know ATI is the cheaper of the hi end bulbs, KZ and Geissmeman are more money I believe, by a few bucks a bulb.

Well I picked up the light! 150 bucks thought it was a pretty good deal for a lot of light that thing is bright!!

Back
Top Bottom