Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry for the confusion. I was looking for 6500k based on MrX's suggestions on the first page of this thread. I was thinking of buying a 6 lamp T5 fixture and going with:

2 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Purple Plus

And for daylights:
2 ATI Aquablue specials
1 GE 6500k

I'm just wondering if i should go with a 3rd ATI aquablue or get that GE 6500k i mentioned in the link above.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaRick View Post
I'm sorry for the confusion. I was looking for 6500k based on MrX's suggestions on the first page of this thread. I was thinking of buying a 6 lamp T5 fixture and going with:

2 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Purple Plus

And for daylights:
2 ATI Aquablue specials
1 GE 6500k

I'm just wondering if i should go with a 3rd ATI aquablue or get that GE 6500k i mentioned in the link above.
10-4. But the fixture you are looking at is 5' long? I have a 36" tank but I am using a 4' long fixture for the DIY project. I will shield the ends of it so as to not spill light all around the aquarium. Then, when I upgrade the tank it will fit great for a 4' tank but even if I go 5' on the new tank, I think it will suffice. Since I will be suspending it from the ceiling I don't have to worry about how it sits on the tank.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

My tank is 5' long, so i figured i needed a 5' long fixture and by the leg attachments to sit on top of the aquarium:

Sunlight Supply TEK Light T5 Fixture - English

Think that's too much? Should i go with a 48" fixture and hang it via a canopy or something? Ideally i'd love to do all corals and clams. Would it be better to go with an 48" fixture but go with 8 lamps?

Sorry for the questions, just not sure about how to handle my lighting.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wish I could give you an answer with confidence. I would say that having lamps for the full length of the tank would not be overkill by any means. Mr_X would be better suited but I know what I would do. LOL If you go with a 4' fixture it will be much easier to find the lamps you need now and in the future but, you would have to hang them or build a floor mount stand that hangs over the tank. You also would have darker areas at the ends of the tank. In my tank, I leave the ends open so the fish can circle the rock structure so I don't think it would be that big of deal.

My situation is a bit different. I bought a 36" two lamp fixture when I set the tank up because I thought that had to be plenty of light. Now I realize how dumb I was. So, since I can't go out and buy what I want, I am using a fixture that was damaged in shipment and we couldn't install. The manufacturer sent us a replacement and told us to "Field Scrap" the damaged one so I "Scrapped" it to my garage. LOL Even though it will overhang my tank, I am going to use it because I am cheap. LOL Plus, if I upgrade the tank I won't have to upgrade the fixture.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
rick- get the 5', eight lamp fixture!

just a FYI- giesemann, which is also the maker of very good lamps, makes a bulb in the 8800k color temp called "aquaflora", as well as a bulb called "aqua pink".
Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd love to get the 5' eight lamp fixture. It just comes down to $. If i were to go with the 5' eight lamp, what bulbs would you recommend?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
ATI Blue Plus
ATI 12000K Aquablue
ATI Blue plus
Fiji Purple (or purple plus)
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue plus
UV Lighting 10000K AquaSun
ATI Blue plus
Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
ATI Blue Plus
ATI 12000K Aquablue
ATI Blue plus
Fiji Purple (or purple plus)
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue plus
UV Lighting 10000K AquaSun
ATI Blue plus
Hey Mr X
I saw you recommending this combo multiple times and I tried doing it with minor tweaking due to availability and dog breaking one of the blue plus >.<
I have a 120g tank, distance from fixture to sand is 24" and the light is SUPER bright. I mean I bet u can see our house from mars!!
My question: too much light?! How do I know if I got to much without adding coral? Im worried that the coral from my current tank will be negatively affected. It's a 8x80w 60" sunlight supply tek...
Thx for the help
And sorry for hijacking the thread
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

No apologies needed. This is how I learn.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah i should have apologized as well RD. At least we're all learning from the master

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com