Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lighting Question

I am getting ready to build a 6 Lamp T5HO fixtures for my reef tank. I am getting all the parts off a left over light fixture from one of our projects. I have one 2 lamp ballast and one 4 lamp ballast to work with. What would be the best selection of lamps to use in this. Should I go 3 10K and 3 Actinic? Two of the Actinic running for longer periods with the the other Actinic and the 10K kicking on for shorter periods? I want to be be able to do whatever corals my little heart desires.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
it's personal preference but i would suggest using ATI or giesemann lamps, because they have the most PAR. i think the ATI lamps have the best color also.
i would use a couple blue plus, perhaps a purple plus, and for daylights i would use 2 aquablue specials, and maybe a single GE 6500k.

you are going to have to tweak it until you are pleased with the look
remember that what makes T5s so potent is individual reflectors. if you don't have those, there's a good chance you won't be able to keep any corals your little heart desires.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
it's personal preference but i would suggest using ATI or giesemann lamps, because they have the most PAR. i think the ATI lamps have the best color also.
i would use a couple blue plus, perhaps a purple plus, and for daylights i would use 2 aquablue specials, and maybe a single GE 6500k.

remember that what makes T5s so potent is individual reflectors. if you don't have those, there's a good chance you won't be able to keep any corals your little heart desires.
Thanks X. So if I went that route, which would I put on the two lamp ballast? I assume it would be the blue plus? Right now, I run my 2 lamp fixture from 11;00 AM to 11:00 PM and algae is well within limits. What kind of time settings do you think would be good. I may also add some LED moon lights since I don't have to buy a fixture. Depends if I can scrounge some of this teak my boss has lying around. Then I don't have to buy any lumber to make a nice enclosure.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
yeah, i would probably put the blue plus on the small ballast. are these high output ballasts? if not, i would buy new ones. they are very cheap. the advance ballast fried on the gym tank so i ordered a workhorse 5 from this place-
Discount store of all electric supplies and lighting, lutron dimmer, exhaust fan, smoke detector, bathroom exhaust fan, Track lighting, Recessed Lighting, landscape lighting, flood lighting, RAB lighting, timers, ceiling fans, outdoor lighting, under
for 30 bucks shipped.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussions.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
yeah, i would probably put the blue plus on the small ballast. are these high output ballasts? if not, i would buy new ones. they are very cheap. the advance ballast fried on the gym tank so i ordered a workhorse 5 from this place-
Discount store of all electric supplies and lighting, lutron dimmer, exhaust fan, smoke detector, bathroom exhaust fan, Track lighting, Recessed Lighting, landscape lighting, flood lighting, RAB lighting, timers, ceiling fans, outdoor lighting, under
for 30 bucks shipped.
Yes they are HO. The fixture was originally a Lineal High Bay fixture designed for lighting a warehouse from 30 feet in the air. The way it is built it has two rejecters sack containing three lamps. But, the reflectors are bent in a way that each lamp sits in it's own reflector slot. The ballast compartment sits in the middle but I will cut that out and narrow the fixture by about 4". Then I will mount the ballast compartment on top and wrap the whole thing with some nice wood.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post

Do you know if ATI or Giesemann have anything comparable to the GE 6500K? I am hoping that the Bulk Reef Supply discont for the group buy next week will discount lamps and I can get a gonga deal. Problem is, I don't see anything like that. I could get it through one of my supply houses but they will want me to buy a case because they would never sell any lamps that are 6500K. Most everything we deal in is 35000K.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm pretty sure ATI doesnt have one but don't they have ge bulbs as well? Those come in 6500k

I'm gonna go check and see if I;m right. I may be confusing sites
Old 09-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I'm pretty sure ATI doesnt have one but don't they have ge bulbs as well? Those come in 6500k

I'm gonna go check and see if I;m right. I may be confusing sites
Nope, checked while putting togeter my wish list.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, i checked too, i must be thinking of aquacave or something. I bet you could get one at home depot though pretty cheap. They dont go higher than 6500k it seems there.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com