Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting ready to build a 6 Lamp T5HO fixtures for my reef tank. I am getting all the parts off a left over light fixture from one of our projects. I have one 2 lamp ballast and one 4 lamp ballast to work with. What would be the best selection of lamps to use in this. Should I go 3 10K and 3 Actinic? Two of the Actinic running for longer periods with the the other Actinic and the 10K kicking on for shorter periods? I want to be be able to do whatever corals my little heart desires.

it's personal preference but i would suggest using ATI or giesemann lamps, because they have the most PAR. i think the ATI lamps have the best color also.
i would use a couple blue plus, perhaps a purple plus, and for daylights i would use 2 aquablue specials, and maybe a single GE 6500k.

you are going to have to tweak it until you are pleased with the look
remember that what makes T5s so potent is individual reflectors. if you don't have those, there's a good chance you won't be able to keep any corals your little heart desires.

it's personal preference but i would suggest using ATI or giesemann lamps, because they have the most PAR. i think the ATI lamps have the best color also.
i would use a couple blue plus, perhaps a purple plus, and for daylights i would use 2 aquablue specials, and maybe a single GE 6500k.

remember that what makes T5s so potent is individual reflectors. if you don't have those, there's a good chance you won't be able to keep any corals your little heart desires.

Thanks X. So if I went that route, which would I put on the two lamp ballast? I assume it would be the blue plus? Right now, I run my 2 lamp fixture from 11;00 AM to 11:00 PM and algae is well within limits. What kind of time settings do you think would be good. I may also add some LED moon lights since I don't have to buy a fixture. Depends if I can scrounge some of this teak my boss has lying around. Then I don't have to buy any lumber to make a nice enclosure. (y)

yeah, i would probably put the blue plus on the small ballast. are these high output ballasts? if not, i would buy new ones. they are very cheap. the advance ballast fried on the gym tank so i ordered a workhorse 5 from this place-
Discount store of all electric supplies and lighting, lutron dimmer, exhaust fan, smoke detector, bathroom exhaust fan, Track lighting, Recessed Lighting, landscape lighting, flood lighting, RAB lighting, timers, ceiling fans, outdoor lighting, under
for 30 bucks shipped.

mr_X said:
yeah, i would probably put the blue plus on the small ballast. are these high output ballasts? if not, i would buy new ones. they are very cheap. the advance ballast fried on the gym tank so i ordered a workhorse 5 from this place-
Discount store of all electric supplies and lighting, lutron dimmer, exhaust fan, smoke detector, bathroom exhaust fan, Track lighting, Recessed Lighting, landscape lighting, flood lighting, RAB lighting, timers, ceiling fans, outdoor lighting, under
for 30 bucks shipped.

Yes they are HO. The fixture was originally a Lineal High Bay fixture designed for lighting a warehouse from 30 feet in the air. The way it is built it has two rejecters sack containing three lamps. But, the reflectors are bent in a way that each lamp sits in it's own reflector slot. The ballast compartment sits in the middle but I will cut that out and narrow the fixture by about 4". Then I will mount the ballast compartment on top and wrap the whole thing with some nice wood.

Do you know if ATI or Giesemann have anything comparable to the GE 6500K? I am hoping that the Bulk Reef Supply discont for the group buy next week will discount lamps and I can get a gonga deal. :) Problem is, I don't see anything like that. I could get it through one of my supply houses but they will want me to buy a case because they would never sell any lamps that are 6500K. Most everything we deal in is 35000K.

I'm pretty sure ATI doesnt have one but don't they have ge bulbs as well? Those come in 6500k

I'm gonna go check and see if I;m right. I may be confusing sites

I'm pretty sure ATI doesnt have one but don't they have ge bulbs as well? Those come in 6500k

I'm gonna go check and see if I;m right. I may be confusing sites

Nope, checked while putting togeter my wish list. :(

Yeah, i checked too, i must be thinking of aquacave or something. I bet you could get one at home depot though pretty cheap. They dont go higher than 6500k it seems there.

Yeah, i checked too, i must be thinking of aquacave or something. I bet you could get one at home depot though pretty cheap. They dont go higher than 6500k it seems there.

I checked on there website but didn't see anything. Of course, HD website stinks so that doesn't mean much. LOL I have to pick my middle daughter up at the Airport today so I wll stop by both and see what they have.

Hey Mr_X. I am working on my DIY fixture. I have been able to reduce the width down to about 15" by cutting the ballast compartment out of the middle, moving the sides in and then mounting the ballast compartment on top. Getting ready to reroute the wiring and install the tombstones. Since my glass top has a plastic hinge running down the center, I loose a little light due to shadowing. What order would you recomend I install the lamps you recomended so I get the best results. You told me to put the two aquablue on the 2 lamp ballast and the remaining on the 4 lamp ballast but I can arrange the tombstones in any order I want. I would assume that since most corals will be situated to be viewed from the front of the tank I want the most punch out front. Your help is always appreciated and top notch in my book.

first, a GE 6500k is going to run you about 5 bucks. searching for an aquatic lamp to match is will probably cost you 3 times that amount.

secondly, lamp arrangement will have to be entirely up to you. i would want an even mix of blue and white throughout the tank.
i would remove the glass top all together. better gas exchange and light penetration without the cover.

first, a GE 6500k is going to run you about 5 bucks. searching for an aquatic lamp to match is will probably cost you 3 times that amount.

secondly, lamp arrangement will have to be entirely up to you. i would want an even mix of blue and white throughout the tank.
i would remove the glass top all together. better gas exchange and light penetration without the cover.

Mr X, i've been trying to find a 60" GE 3500k. I did find this though:

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/ge-starcoat-6500k-t5-ho-lamp

Is this the right bulb i want to have?

Thanks!

Thanks Doug. I didn't find the 6500 at Lowes but I bet I will find it at HD. Just haven't had the chance to stop there yet. I appreciate the help.

Mr X, i've been trying to find a 60" GE 3500k. I did find this though:

GE Starcoat 6500K T5 HO Lamp

Is this the right bulb i want to have?

Thanks!

The color you are looking for is very standard in the electrical industry however the length and wattage is very unusal. You may get lucky at HD or Lowes but doubt it. You could check with some of the local electrical supply houses that serve contractors and you may find some in stock. (Only if someone ordered them by mistake). If that is the case, you would have to get an electrical contractor to buy it from them and then sell it to you. Most electrical supply houses require that you have an electrical license even for cash purchases.

don't get all excited over this bulb. it's got some PAR, but will look quite yellow. if you can't find it, use a UVL75/25 or perhaps another daylight lamp to replace it. this is a mix and match till you love it thing, not anything set in stone.

Mr.x: Whoops had a type there with the 3500k; meant 6500k. I'll look around for the the uvl 75/25. I may just go with 3 ATI aquablue specials. Think it might be
some overkill? but my tank is 26" high so maybe not.

RD: Yeah, i tried looking at HD and Lowe's, but no t5s in the 60" range. Kind of a bummer =/

2' 3' and 4' are very common lengths for general lighting fixtures but 60" is extremely unusual. On top of that, I thought you were looking for 3500 which is very common.

Back
Top Bottom