Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mderheim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for lights and I can't decide between LED lighting or t5 lighting..I want coral which is best?

Well the tank is 125 gal 60" tank are there any good brands you would suggest on the led side?

Cost wise I would like to stay somewhere in the 200 to 400 range

400 total? you aren't going to get a good LED fixture for that. i would go with a 60" t5HO fixture. what are the total dimensions? 60" x ? x?

Ha ha yeah it's not for my tank it's a friend I believe it's 60"L x 18"W x 24"D

If your planning on a Reef, youd probly be better witha t5ho. Im not 100% Sure on it though. Ask some of the Salties and see what they tell you.

you don't need metal halides. IMO, Hamilton technology is as cutting edge as this cell phone-
mobile-phone-rex_1686025c.jpg

My 450 gallon, 96"L x 30D x 36"T tank is thriving with that Hamilton technology....sometimes old school just keeps kicking ***.....IMO

But again you won't find halides for his tank for 400. At the moment my corals are doing fine under t5 bulbs. I added led to get the shimmer effect tho

No, you're right. A 60" fixture w/ MHs, HO T5s, and LEDs/moonlights runs about 800.00. Still, running the MHs 4-6 hrs a day blows up certain corals, anemones, and clams.

the reflectors and design of those fixtures is obsolete. i can but a metal halide shop light and keep corals under it- it doesn't mean it's the best bang for the buck.

Nor is your advice. I ran this by 4 different shop owners, whom I know personally, while researching combo fixtures. They had nothing to gain to advise me that this was a lot of light and craftsmanship for the money. My comments are based on what this fixture is doing for my tank which is 36" deep. 72" 3 - 400W MH, 4 - 80W T5s, 18 LEDs

....thanks for the OPINION

research fixtures and PAR numbers instead of slandering me. you'll realize you are incorrect. Incorrect in saying that the information i gave above is opinion. it's not. there are much better fixtures with much better reflectors available. and that's a FACT.

Last edited:
Leave the personal attacks out of this thread guys. It all comes down to personal preference, one light might be stronger or have a different color but that's it. PAR is important for many corals but for most corals t5 do the trick.

For all corals T5s will do the trick. It's a matter of depth top to bottom. I've never use T5s over a 3 foot deep tank, but i'm using them over a 30" tank right now, and i can keep whatever i want.

mr_X said:
For all corals T5s will do the trick. It's a matter of depth top to bottom. I've never use T5s over a 3 foot deep tank, but i'm using them over a 30" tank right now, and i can keep whatever i want.

Mr. X, you are dead on. I've been there, done mh for years, t5's and ai sol leds. Ultimately, the t5's are by far the best, especially when I use good bulbs like ati's. I would never do mh again, especially when t5 works better in my experience. I been able to keep any coral I want on my 27" deep custom tank. Last, after experiencing all three technologies, I chose t5's.

Back
Top Bottom