Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been asking questions on here a lot, these last few days lol.

Anyway, 12 gallon - 24inch long with T8-15watt daylight bulb. I was wondering, if it were possible to take out my old lighting and replace it with a better unit, or would it be easier to add additional lighting. Like this? Buy Arcadia Ultraseal Aquarium Light Control Unit T8 18W at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Fish tank lighting and heating.

I'm used to doing DIY around the house, since my father has the DIY skills, of Frank Spencer lol, nonetheless, I think I'd need some help to accomplish this little project, and all the advice and suggestions in the world, on which unit and wattage will be suitable for my tank.

At the minute I can grow; Anubia's, Crypts, Hygropolysperma, and thats about it. I don't want to use Co2, I just want more variety of what I can grow in the tank.

I've uploaded pics because i'm sure someone will ask for them lol.

Attachments

• P3040245.jpg
    P3040245.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 72
  • P3040247.jpg
    P3040247.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 60
If you do not have co2, the watt of lighting can be lower. How about the plants, do they grow well? You may consider to change to t5.

Well, the only plants I seem to be able to grow are Crypts and anubia's, h. polysperma has a yellow tinge and a few holes, but other than that these few plants grow well. Every other plant I try to grow dies and I dose with Flourish Comprehensive.

I actually just found a 15w t8 bulb, with a 7500k spectrum and I'm just thinking whether this will make much of a difference compared to a 6500k. At the least, it would make my fish appear more colourful and the tank a lot brighter than it is, right? Charterhouse Aquatics | Arcadia T8 18" 15w Freshwater Tube

Or, would this light be better since it accentuates the reds and blues, which is better for photosynthesis? So much to take in with this lighting malarky! lol http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/arcadia-15w-tropical-tube-p-681.html

Well, the only plants I seem to be able to grow are Crypts and anubia's, h. polysperma has a yellow tinge and a few holes, but other than that these few plants grow well. Every other plant I try to grow dies and I dose with Flourish Comprehensive.

I actually just found a 15w t8 bulb, with a 7500k spectrum and I'm just thinking whether this will make much of a difference compared to a 6500k. At the least, it would make my fish appear more colourful and the tank a lot brighter than it is, right? Charterhouse Aquatics | Arcadia T8 18" 15w Freshwater Tube

Or, would this light be better since it accentuates the reds and blues, which is better for photosynthesis? So much to take in with this lighting malarky! lol Charterhouse Aquatics | Arcadia T8 18" 15w Tropical Tube
because these plants need less watt lighting. if you change to high light tank, you can try more different kinds of plants.

you can know more about color temperature from this site:Colour-Temperature; blackbody radiation visualisation

but the most consideration is not the color temperature, it is the watt and the water condition, they influence the growth of plants directly.

for the photosynthesis, you should have enough co2 injection and lighting, i have used 6500K or 8000K before, and it also has photosynthesis.

i recommend to use the white color because i think that it is the most natural color when i watch the tank.

Well, what i've actually been thinking about doing is, changing my current bulb for the arcadia tropical 15watt and then buying an arcadia ultraseal starter unit and adding an arcadia freshwater bulb for additional lighting. Obviously, I'd need to take in to consideration the amount of lighting I have, so I'd cut the photoperiod down, and hopefully wouldn't have to use co2. Do you think that would work, does it even make sense? lol

A couple of things to consider when choosing a lamp. The colour temp will give you an idea of what the light will look like. The CRI (Colour Rendition Index) will tell you how well it will render colour. The closer to 100 (the CRI of sunlight) the better it will render colour.

Well, I ordered my bulb this evening and went with the arcadia freshwater t8, hopefully this will make a little difference with my plants.

Back
Top Bottom