Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lighting question

I have a 29 gallon tank combo kit from walmart. I added a underground filter but i was wondering about the lighting.

I have 2 live plants soon to have a couple more. Will the standard Fluorescent Bulbs be enough or would it bet better if i upgrade to a better bulb.

Will the fish and plants benefit from getting an upgraded bulb. and if so could anyone recommend a type i should get?

Old 04-11-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
You need to tell us what kind of plants you have. Java moss or fern would be fine, but pretty much everything else will need more lights. And its not possible to just upgrade the bulb. The ballast that the kit came with probably cannot support any more watts than it already has. Can you check what the wattage is on your bulb?

Old 04-11-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

right now there is an eclipse daytime sunlight lamp and its 20 watts.

Im not sure of the type of plant but here is a photo.

does anyone know what type of plant this is?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

First of all a undergravel filter is not a good choice for plants. To grow a variety of plants you will need a least 2 WPG then you can grow a least low light plants. What you have now is not evan 1 WPG, you will need to upgrade to another light fixture.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Does anyone know what type of planet that is i posted?
Old 04-12-2004, 02:13 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Looks like some sort of swordplant (Echinodoras). It will definitely take more light than you have now...though it might survive for a while at your current light level.

As for upgrading your light fixture....I'll add that there are a number of low-light plants that will grow fairly well even at levels below 1 watt per gallon (wpg). I can suggest that you try various types of Anubias (available at most aquarium stores...but rarely at Wal-Mart) or Cryptocoryne (occasionally available at Wal-Mart). Both of these types of plants will grow well under your present conditions though their growth rate will be steady rather than spectacular. Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus) is also a good option for you.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all the help. im going to look into a fixture that has more whats it seems like my current planet is growing but very slowy. I bought my current one at walmart it was so healthy and green when i first got it.

thanks again
Old 04-12-2004, 05:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looks like a melon sword actually. You'll really need to remove your undergravel filter, as it will bother some plants' root systems, and other plants (like this sword) will put roots into the UGF plate...if you move the plant you'll destroy the roots, and it probably won't be replantable. UGF's IMO aren't that great in general, but do serve a purpose in the right situations.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com