lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShadowNoob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a couple metal halide lights for my garage for real cheap off craigslist
there 400w. heres some pics of them.
was just wondering if i stuck some 10000k bulbs in there could i use it for a fish tank cause the guy as a bunch of them and if i can ill go back and buy another two or 4

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 78
Are you planning to wear sunglasses in your garage? Lights of that type and wattage are usually used for high bay lighting where the fixtures are 20 or more feet above the floor. They will work for lighting a fish tank, but the light at close range will, of course, be intense. The large size of the reflector cone may require you to place it quite close to the tank in order to not have a large spillover.

I plan on hanging them from my ceiling over my work bench I like working on various things and the fluorescent up there don't really provide enough light. I think I'm only going to use 1 for that though. They are a lot brighter then I thought they would be. That one I tested lit up my garage better then all 4 fluorescents.
I only paid $20 for each one so I figured if it works for aquarium ill buy more. I could always buy some smaller reflectors if I can find some out here or just attempt to make some. How far off the tank would you recommend putting these?

Back
Top Bottom