Lighting question? !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhiannagreene89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am kind of new to aquariums. I have a fluval edge 6 gallon and it has led lighting and it looks amazing its really bright and illuminates the colors in my natural river stones. I just bought a 30 gallon bow front tank it's pretty much a square so it's fairly tall. I have the same type of rocks in it.

The light in it though looks like crap the rocks are not illuminated at all its just too dark too.

I have no idea what u can use that will light the whole tank up very bright and pure white light.

The fluval edge lighting has a saltwater reef tank look to it if you know what I mean that really bright white. No yellowyness.

Ido I have to get led lights and which ones?
Or is tyre a tube light I can fit into my18" hood that will be bright enough and reach the rocks at the bottom. ??

Thanks!!

What type of light fixture does it have and did you buy it used? If it's a used fluorescent fixture then most likely you will just need to change the bulb for more output.

If it's not a used fluorescent fixture than likely you will have to get a new light fixture if you want brighter sadly. The t8 and stock leds just aren't very bright when compared to some of the other light fixtures.

As for the color of the lights, lights are measured in their color temperature.
Generally the lower the number of the color temperature, then the more yellow that bulb is going to be.

Saltwater tanks usually use a mixture of 10000k color temperature bulbs along with actinic blue. Those lights are higher in the white and blue part of the color spectrum while most freshwater run closer to the 6500k color temperature which is higher in yellows. If you are using a standard t8 fluorescent light fixture then go with a 10000k light bulb such as
10,000K T8 Fluorescent Lamp - 15 W - 18"

i bought the tank used and the hood was with it, i swapped the light out for one i just had laying around i dont really know where it came from but the one i first had was realllly yellow and this ones a little better.

i know that it is 18" bulb but thats all it says on it.

i would like to get one like the one in the link you posted, will the light be bright enough t reach down to the bottom and really light it up ?

i bought the tank used and the hood was with it, i swapped the light out for one i just had laying around i dont really know where it came from but the one i first had was realllly yellow and this ones a little better.

i know that it is 18" bulb but thats all it says on it.

i would like to get one like the one in the link you posted, will the light be bright enough t reach down to the bottom and really light it up ?

Possibly. Fluorescent bulbs have a limited shelf life so it could be overused bulbs. It could also be that it's just too dim for your tastes. Your LFS should also have bulbs of the same color temperature so you could buy it and try it out for a minute to see if it has any real effect. If it's just too dim of a light fixture then you should be able to return the bulb.

Back
Top Bottom