Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grussell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so I've gotten to where I'm seriously looking at lights. Saw this on amazon:

Aquatic Life Light T5 HO 6-Lamp 4-Lunar Aquarium Light, 48-Inch

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00345VY0I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3BDRO56XNSFM8&coliid=I1PGJ64IKZ8UCM

Has anyone tried this model? It seems like a decent price. If you stuck this on legs over a 75 gallon tank, could you grow SPS or clams--assuming all other tank and equipment are correct etc. ? I'm talking average SPS or clams here...

Would you expect heat to become a problem from this in a home kept around 70 degrees year round? Chillers are something I definitely don't want.

Thanks!

Grussell.........

As far as t5's that is a pretty solid unit. You should be able to keep most anything, but Id venture to say that SPS would have to be placed mid to high tank. It's all a matter of placement. :)

I think you could keep some SPS under that, but not all. For the same price, you could get taotronics led lights, though. Maybe a bit less, and no bulbs to replace every year.

I'm interested in those taotronics. How many would you need for a 75? Can you get legs to mount them on the tank? My ceiling is very high, and I'd rather not drill into my walls....

Assuming the 75 is 48" log, two would do it. As far as I know, if you want to install legs,you'll need to design and fabricate them yourself. I've seen a few creative designs for hanging, though. One was to purchase metal modular shelving units to put over/around the tank for a no drill option. Another was wall shelf L-brackets. This does require holes in the wall, but not big ones. A third was making a stand out of metal wiring conduit that reaches to the floor and extends over the tank.
Obviously the most aesthetically pleasing option is hanging from the ceiling, but as you pointed out, that's not always possible. Still, I think the economics of the situation make up for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the great reply! I've done some reading on other threads too and a few folks mention just laying them directly on top of a glass hood. Is that a viable way to do it?

I would lose the glass hood all together. Your tank will be healthier for it. Hang them from the wall behind the tank.

What is wrong with glass hoods? How else can you stop evaporation and jumping fish?

Also, previous response, I've read another thread here where some folks feel the taotronics are too cheap to be dependable. You feel they are reliable and give off enough light for most corals/clams etc?

I would much rather deal with evaporation than ph issues, which is what you may have from lack of gas exchange. As for jumping fish, I don't see it very often. You could make a mesh screen for the tank if it is a major concern.
I have grown volleyball sized sps colonies using taotronics or similar fixtures. You will be able to grow whatever you want for cheap.

Y'all thanks for all the good replies. I own nothing at this point. I plan to starting up a tank in the new year. I'm not going to do SPS or anything right off the bat, but want to be prepared for 6-12 months down the line.

What do you guys think of these?

Amazon.com: OceanRevive Arctic S026 Full Spectrum Dimmable Reef 3W LEDs LED Aquarium Light Hoods Coral Reef Seaweed Saltwater Fish Tank Panel Lamp Fixture (Two-Year Warranty): Pet Supplies

This is a new company apparently. Anyone have experience with these? I'd rather have an American company with an American warranty I suppose...

It looks to be the same as all the rest, in a new casing. As you can see in the picture, It's CE certified, and not UL listed. It's definitely not made in America, American company or not.

Back
Top Bottom