Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hulka9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've noticed when I turn my aquarium lights off at night my fish go crazy. Does this stress them out? If it does how can i do it in a less stressful way? I've tried moving the lid (lights attached) on top of my HOB filter for a couple hours before lights out so the light is dimmer, but they still freak out. I dont have enough money currently for a new lighting system. Anyway i could buy some device that dim the lights gradually for cheap?

There is really no reason to think that gradual dimming (or the sunset effect) has any positive benefit on a tank other than aesthetics. Your fish are fine when you turn off the light. It shouldn't be stress inducing. Fish behavior does change with different lighting (for example, when my lights start to dim on my reef, my clowns go right for the LPS corals and start hanging out in them until the next morning).

I've had fish do this in my quarantine tank, does the tank have plenty if decorations and hidey spots? Likely they're all scattering for the good spot at once..

Back
Top Bottom