Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saneone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry , newbie question . If a 13 watt LED floodlight is the equivalent of a 100 watt incandescent , do you count it as 13 or 100 when calculating your watts per gallon ? Or is there some in between calculation ? I wanted to know how many 13/100 watt bulbs I can put over my 180 and stay below the recommended max of 4 watts per gallon . Thanks for any help .

There is no equasion to calculate this. Its been quite a while since Watt/Gal is of any use. Statement "13w led is equivalent of 100w incandescent" is a very very arguable one in many ways.
Lux (apparent brightens as our beats see it) for all matters plant is also irelevant. What will be important is knowing the intensity of your light in specific wavelength that activate chlorophylls of the plants - measured in PAR. Basically two devices consuming same exact Watts of energy can convert it differently which will result in different usable energy for plants. To reliably know the PAR number it will need to be measured . Maybe someone did take measurement of your exact LED flooding ( that you didn't mention) , maybe not. It will also be useful to know what are you trying to grow (if at all).

Sorry , at the moment the link to "lighting your aquarium with PAR" article escapes me, maybe some else will post.

Now, If you don't want to go all academic on it or not trying to grow anything at all then the situation is simple. Just throw enough lights for good coverage of tour tank and try it out. Not enough brightness for you? Move lights closer , increase count. If algie starts growing reduce the time, reduce brightness, move the light higher. Chances are that with 3-4 ordinary floodlights you will be in algea safe zone (but will depend).

Good luck!

Thanks , that’s what I was thinking as far as the manufacturers claims of same output as a 100 watt incandescent . I need to check the specs on the bulb packages . I used to keep a large saltwater reef 25 to 30 years ago . And we were always trying to maximize our lights , both lumens and spectrum . Haven’t done salt in a long time , but did have the 180 set up as a fish only cichlids tank for 20 years . When I decided to set it back up after a move I decided to go to a low tech planted freshwater . I didn’t really read much and rebuilt my hood with 15 E27 sockets for LED floodlights . There are so many good bulbs available , daylight spectrum , grow light spectrum , blue , red , etc . I figured I would blend multiple bulbs and more light was better . Now tha I’ve read more , I realize I’ve way overdone my lights and was headed toward an algae farm . I don’t know how to post a photo but the light looks spectacular . I am almost thinking of going fish only .

Back
Top Bottom