Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 150 tank and I'm about to upgrade the lighting. I want enough light to have corals and I currently only have about 100 watts of flourence lighting which i know is not nearly enough. I'm looking at installing 3 250 watt 12,000 K metal halides and was wanting to know if this was going to be enough lighting. I currently only have 3 fish and a some mushrooms. Tell me what you think please.

I agree that with 5 watts per gallon, you can keep almost anything. I've never used MH lighting, but have heard that they can get hot. Faster water evap/more frequent topoffs. Maybe even a chiller might be needed.

Might wanna check those considerations too. You may not have to go that far for many corals. Plan on doing hards?

I plan on softs at first but my problem is that I've had LFS tell me one , and three metal halides lights, so I'm confused and was wanting to here from someone who has allready done it themselves. I love the way the MH make the water look sparkly and clear and want a lot of coral in it as well. I'm just lost on this lighting thing. In your oppinion will the 3 lights generate to much heat? Will I need a chiller and or fans. As you know this is an expensive hobby and I want to get this expensive part done right the first time is possible.

Check out my profile. I'm at 3.5w per gallon and doing fine with the corals listed. Gotta healthy clam too. And like I said, I'm not one to advise on the MHs, but I've seen some say they do create a need for more frequent topoffs and maybe a chiller.

Back
Top Bottom