Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Lighting Question

i am going to buy the new sunpod HQI light from dr.fostersmith. and i seen they come in 4 wattages. 70watt,150watt,250watt and 300watt. i have a 24g aqua pod and looking to make it a reef tank, and dont want to be limited on the corals i can have one day.
also what K* should i have 10,000k, 14,000, or 20,000k. i like the blue in the lights but again i get what ever i need to keep these little guys happy
Old 02-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
In a 24 gallon, I'd go with either the 70 or 150 watt. Anything else would be too much, IMHO. How deep is the aquapod?

Color temp is up to you! 10,000k is more white...20,000k is blue. I think you might like the 14,000k as in between and maybe add some supplemental actinics.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would go w/ a 175w since you do not want to be limited in coral selection. A 70w just will not cut it with some high light species. A 14k will give you good color with out any fluorescent actinic supplements. That is going to be a lot of heat over a 24 gal tank. Do you plan on using a chiller and/or fans?
MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
Wow ... Heat. i never though of that. well today i went to petsmart and i seen a 36g bowfront. lol so now i want that. its 24inchs long and i could put my old CPR refuge that i had on my 55g on that to up it to about 42g its a hang on back one. but i dont know. chillers are to darn much money and i could use fans but i dont know where i would put them to do there job. maybe i will keep both tanks and buy a huge stand and have both the aquapod and 36g and put a walmart tub under the stand and use that as a refuge and use the aqua pod as a hospital/cureing tank. i thinking of that mabey.
How much heat u thinking it will put off? and should i run a new 15amp 120volt GFCI recp?
U think i could just buy a walmart hang on fan and screw it to the bottom of the stand for the heat problem?or u think i will need something better?
plus i dont know if this means any thing i was going to leave the top of the tank open also. no glass top on it. is that a wise idea?
Old 02-17-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
i just came back from the LFS and they said i should use a glass top i i was going to use a HQI light. is that right?
Old 02-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
It depends on how far off the water the light is going to be. If it is high enough so it won't get splashed by any spray off the top of the water you don't need a top. If there is a chance it will get wet i would use something to shield it.
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
The higher it is from the surface of the water the less heat transfer to the tank. At least 6 inches from the water surface is recommended. The fixture your talking about has a hanging kit (extra $) you can put on it so you can adjust the height. I'm looking at it right now in the catalog.

The fixture only comes in 70 or 150 watt from the 20'' to the 24''.

Have you seen the SunPod Pro HQI? Same thing just more output. The 24'' has a 250 watt 14,000k MH which would give you about 7 watts per gallon in a 36 gallon tank. But it is an extra $100 for the "pro" fixture.

O and both types of fixtures have built in fans.
Lance M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
yea but wont the 250 burn the coral. its only a 20" deep tank. i was thinking the 150 would be fine but what are the benifits 150w vs. 250w? 14000k
Old 02-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I run the outer orbit here, http://www.aquariumguys.com/24outerorbit.html, on a29 gallon bowfront with the CPR HOB Fuge and my corals love it. Havent seen any real burn but did have a leather that neded to go lower on the rocks. HTH

Any home mortgage questions feel free to ask. Thats what I do when I'm not tending to my tank!!
beachbumin is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com