Lighting Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Str8Emulated

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Would 400 watts of metal halide be the same as 400 watts of PC? In the same aspect, would the 400 watts of VHO or T-5's all be the same? If I have a 120 gallon tank, and I want 8 WPG (I'm closer to 8.5, but I want to downsize the 2-400 watt metal halides for power bill reasons), can I get the same coral growth results with just T-5's or VHO's (I'm not too fond of PCs) and not worry about running the metal halides?

I currently have 2-400 watt 20k MH, 1-54 watt pure actinic T-5, 1-54 watt actinic plus T-5, and 2-39 watt pure actinic T-5's, with this rig, can I take out the 2 MH's, and add in 800 watts of T-5's or VHO's, and get the same results?

I have many other questions about lighting I will continue to post.

afishyonados said:
http://www.pcgok.com/PCGFiles/T5%20vs%20Metal%20halide%20Comparison.pdf#search=%22T5%20metal%20halide%20comparison%22

Food for thought... Check out the pics!
Yeah, that's pretty neat to see the difference.
Mel, I think there were more questions and Str8Emulated didn't want to hijack the thread.....

Going by that, I can see that there are definetly MANY MANY advantages to T-5's over MH's. What about VHO'S? I've done a few experiments with VHO's and T-5's, but are there any others out here who can tell me some advantages or disadvantages to the VHO's over the T-5's? I would really like to make sure I have the best light set-up I can possibly get for a wide range of corals.

I wish I could help Str8 but I`ve only had VHO`s the whole 9 yrs I`ve had a SW tank. I just like the actinic look as do my corals.

Back
Top Bottom